Posted 1 year ago on March 23, 2012, 4:15 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
On September 17th we occupied Zuccotti Park to denounce the perpetrators of our current economic crisis and call urgent attention to the ongoing damage the economic and political system has inflicted upon our lives. In the heart of the financial district we fought to build a community by the people for the people - a community built on direct democracy, civic engagement and our collective aspirations for a better world.
Although we were harshly evicted from Zuccotti, we are still here and still fighting for economic justice, an end to police brutality, and the opening of public space for assembly, protest and the pursuit of common goals. The resilience of our collective human spirit is stronger than the power of money, armies and batons. We will move, we will adapt, we will become mobile and bring the joy and hope of the Liberty Square encampment to neighbourhoods throughout New York City. We will tap into the hope of people throughout New York and America and show them that a better world is possible, and that we can build it together starting today
Join us this Sunday March 25th at Fort Greene Park, the first Occupy Town Square in Brooklyn. Occupy groups and local community organizations will mingle, discuss and connect, the way we would in Zuccotti. There will be many wonderful activities at this day long event, including:
- a pop-up Free Store, please bring your kind donations to fill its shelves
- a wonderful program with many local food justice groups collaborating featuring rapping, cooking demos, and a panel
- Special radical walking tours of the area highlighting social and economic issues of the area, as well as its activist history
- At 4pm, let your voice be heard at the Community Speak-Out. This is your chance to articulate your struggles and let them be echoed around Fort Greene Park.
- At 7pm, follow the skies leading outside the park for a very special spectacle.
Location: Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn (Myrtle Ave., De Kalb Ave. bet. Washington Park and St. Edward's St.) Subway: R, Q, B, M to DeKalb Avenue; G to Fulton Street
Time: 11am-7pm, Community Speak Out 4 pm.