Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: One Year and Counting Until Opportunity in 2012

Posted 12 years ago on Oct. 29, 2011, 4:01 p.m. EST by OccupyLegislation (0)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I think it's time to start thinking about 2012. The protests so far have done an excellent job of bringing attention to some of the issues facing all of us. This has gotten the conversation started, but now we need to start movement toward the solutions to our grievances. The most realistic way of affecting change is by leveraging the legislative branch. Or, actually from leveraging our way into it.

Taking a realistic look at the situation we have to accept the fact that we are not the first or only movement to seek change, and so would serve ourselves well by looking at previous movements seeking radical change and their ultimate outcomes. History is full of examples of the corruption of well-intentioned movements. I think we should all start a dialog regarding what an OWS party (for lack of a better term) would look like.

I think we can agree that certain elements of our current system have contributed to what has brought us to this point. For instance, the lack of term limits in the Senate and House of Representatives. Therefore I think having a party constitution should clearly state the ideals of the OWS movement.

Possible Examples:

• Party enforced term limits
  • Specific rules regarding the disclosure of contributions, contributor contacts, etc.
  • Specific guidelines regarding the decentralized nature of the OWS movement and it's application in the "party"
  • Specific rules regarding avoidance of possible future corrupting influence (the use of open source software, Creative Commons, and already publicly available resources for transportation, etc.)
  • Specific methods of internal inquiry to resolve disputes about the above topics and others with as little impact on the constituents as possible.

Again, leveraging current structures, public and private, including using legal contracts to cement these types of internal regulations is probably wise.

The brilliance of our Constitution is in its self-limiting and separating nature. Try to use the same mind-set while we discuss this. Also, don't ever forget that none of us, no matter how sure we are is immune to corruption and should be shielded from its influence as much as possible.

All that being said, how about we start this conversation.

2 Comments

2 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by middleclassdude (1) 12 years ago

In my opinion, a call for a political party is a hugely difficult and expensive task, especially in light of the fact that the 2012 election is just next year.

It would be a far more powerful use of citizens' political clout for OWS supporters to work within their own parties for a set of common and clearly-stated demands (as agreed upon by OWS supporters). The demands should be easy to identify as having been honored or not honored by our congressman. Such clarity will compel action and help identify what elected leaders are willing to follow their constituents' directives.

[-] 1 points by Ashlir (1) 12 years ago

It doesnt make sense to try and reform broken corrupt parties. Starting fresh would be better. The system is expensive it isn't designed to allow the everyday person into office without support from the wealthy.