Forum Post: Here comes the sun: 1st WALMART, NOW MCDONALD'S. Water's been building up behind this dam for a long time & now dam is cracking.
Posted 6 months ago on Nov. 30, 2012, 9:47 a.m. EST by therising
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
OWS supporters have been speaking up with a loud and powerful voice for the past 15 months and this helped (along with other factors) to embolden all kinds of groups and individuals to speak up too. When Walmart workers stood up, I think it really got a lot of the 99% thinking and talking. Hence McDonald's workers now pushing back for something that looks a little more like a living wage.
Privately, those in the 1% and their minions who are on the front lines of keeping wages and benefits down and productivity and profits up have to be beside themselves. They're not used to people standing up for themselves, especially collectively. That's what really scares them -- because the 1% knows quite well that they only rule if we the 99% are divided. When we start recognizing that we have more in common than we have dividing us, the corporatists will no longer be able to maintain the status quo.
Water has been building up behind this dam for a long long long time. And now the dam is cracking in a good way.
New York Times story on McDonald's - fast food workers walk off the job http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/nyregion/fast-food-workers-in-new-york-city-rally-for-higher-wages.html?ref=todayspaper
"It’s not just your teenagers with after school jobs. It’s mothers, fathers and families.” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/11/29/fast-food-strikes-nyc_n_2213548.html
Here's how this might unfold big picture with more and more people around the country joining in this virtuous cycle to make this system serve the people instead of the people serving the system: http://occupywallst.org/forum/occupy-is-a-fleet-of-ships-and-there-is-no-they-in/
The water really is built up high behind this weak dam and most of the people in the country really do get this and feel it in their bones. All we Americans need then is to become emboldened to speak up. And that is something that really can become a virtuous cycle once the party of speaking up has started.
The key is that people are awakening to find they have more in common than they have separating them. That's what the 1% has dreaded all along. They keep us all tied up in knots of consumerism, cloud our eyes with mainstream media and feed the fires of division wherever possible -- Anything to keep the 99% from realizing they're all pretty much in the same boat. Over 50% of the wealth in this country is held by the top 1% and 90% of that is inherited. So much for all those lectures on pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps.
Reminds me of when President Bush congratulated the woman who was working three jobs to feed her family. "Wow, that's great," he smiled. "Uniquely American."
Most in the 1% have gotten so used to the other 99% putting up with income disparity that they never imagined Americans would awaken as the disparity grew and grew and real wages fell. They ought to remember that it's pretty quiet except for some rumbling right before a dam breaks. Then things move pretty fast.
In our case, pretty fast may be 10 years, but, relatively speaking, that's a short time to remove the corporatists that have held our republic hostage for so long. Believe me, for everyone's sake, I'd like it to be much faster, but I think we should be prepared for the long haul. The good news is that the sun is just over the horizon and soon we will feel its warmth on our faces instead of the cold wind of our current corporatocracy. Here comes the sun.
We have the power to put up guardrails, regulate and bend capitalism to the people's will until the system benefits humans instead of the needs of corporations....until it's so different that it must be called by another name. I am confident this can be done because a) I know the people have, can and will awaken and b) I know that once the 99% realizes it is the 99%, we'll be in a position to make decisions from a position of united strength rather than demands from a position of divided weakness. We don't have to scrap our republic to do it either. What we need is to eject the scoundrels who have hijacked our political system. Achieving these 8 goals would help quite a bit on that front: http://www.occupywallst.org/forum/you-may-have-seen-this-list-of-8-practical-goals-b/
All easier said than done of course but totally doable. First step, we Americans need to all wake the fuck up. Step two, wield our collective power.
I view OWS as being on the front lines of getting the fire started and fanning the flames on this decade long process. We are fortunate to be alive at this moment in history when the sun is rising.
(updated info on the push for fair wages here: http://occupywallst.org/article/thurs-dec-6-rise-new-york-smash-austerity-support/