Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: What will happnen July 9TH 2012 , When the FBI removes the safety net from the web in America ,

Posted 11 years ago on June 20, 2012, 12:11 a.m. EST by cyprianhak2012 (0) from Newark, NJ
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Hi this is just a reminder of a very important issue that does not seem real yet after having several extensive conversations with a com tech who has worked with several east coast university,s , The issue of the removal of the safety net the FBI places on the web a few yours ago has become more clear and the possible future outcome could be that the cloud is in the future of the WWW and internet for private citizens as well , So of the theory,s is that once the safety net is removed unknown and unnamed hackers will hack into many existing data bases and disable them then the largest com tech company,s such as Apple and a few others will be available through the cloud network and the laptops and PC,s will no longer have any program,s or hard drives installed in them and will be able to log into the cloud and use what ever program they need at the time to use on a temporary basis , So i am not saying this will all happen at once but it will be like a real Y2k in a manner of speaking , So like i said just a reminder about our free internet and what we may be able to do to keep at least a portion of it free and not get polarization of the brain syndrome ,

10 Comments

10 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by writerconsidered123 (344) 11 years ago

this is the first time I've ever heard of this and it's not well explained here a link would nice. However one obvious flaw in this logic is the premise that the FBI has some sort of safety net on all this? thats not the FBI jurisdiction. this is policy not law. so any kind of safety net would have to come from concgress or at the very least the FCC

[-] 1 points by geo (2638) from Concord, NC 11 years ago

Exactly. There is no FBI safety net, nor has there ever been one.

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

I think the government should look into facilitating clear communication

[-] 1 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 11 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks the concept of "cloud computing" is a bad idea?

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

yes

any computer can act as a server

I am the only one? I feel really lonely right about now. Not really. ;-)

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 11 years ago

Cloud computing answers two growing problems for computer manufacturers and software engineers; (a) Storage space will no longer be an issue, particularly for handheld devices and tablets, because they will simply be access devices for the cloud. (b) Software usage will be debited automatically from the users account, bypassing the piracy issues of selling software/antivirus directly, so profitability will be assured.

Your points make sense. My problem with the concept is loss of control, and privacy issues. And it's also about companies (like Microsoft) desire to turn my software usage into another monthly bill. I haven't had to pay for software upgrades for a number of years now (not by using pirated software, btw. My computer use is recreation, not income) and I feel the concept is just as much about propping up falling revenues (and control) as it is about increased efficiency.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 11 years ago

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a good idea at all. I have all the software I need right now, and I'm completely against anyone having the "right" to access my credit card for any reason.

The transition to the cloud will take several years, I hope, and knowing the open source market, the option to not use the cloud will still be there for a long, long time. I do video editing and there's no way I'm going to be uploading hi-def to a server so I can use their editing programmes.

[-] 1 points by jimmycrackerson (940) from Blackfoot, ID 11 years ago

I'm more concerned about the quality of public education in America.