Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: What are the similarities between 1960's SDS and today's Occupy Wall Street

Posted 12 years ago on Feb. 1, 2012, 3 p.m. EST by smit00747 (1)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Please discuss about the similar issues during the 1960's SDS and today's Occupy Wall Street Movement. How are those issue consider today in OWS

4 Comments

4 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by epa1nter (4650) from Rutherford, NJ 12 years ago

The Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) was largely an anti-war, pro-civil rights movement. It lasted a little over ten years. As the 60's progressed, the movement was increasing riven with internal division between various factions, and gave rise to violent splinter groups, like the Weather Underground and the Weathermen. It dissolved by the mid 1970's.

Tom Hayden, one of its founders and main leaders, recently spoke about the group/s - and the left in general - handing victory to Richard Nixon by abandoning the Democratic Party in the aftermath of the '68 Chicago Convention, and thereby extending the Vietnam war for years.

The parallels to OWS are striking, in my view. It's beginnings have been noble (and very effective). It is increasingly becoming factionalized and divided. It is, for reasons similar to those of 1968, abandoning its moderate and liberal supporters, and are contributing to voter abstention, giving the right wing an slight edge in the upcoming election. Although Romney is no Nixon (in fact he is far to the right of him) , and Obama not as remotely liberal as Humphrey, the left is in danger of handing the Supreme Court over to the corporate and Christian Right interests completely, cutting off its nose to spite its face as surely as SDS did in 1968, and hurting the country in the process.

[-] 2 points by Truth4Life (43) 12 years ago

SDS was comprised of elite intellectuals some of whom ultimately became communists after the group broke up. While some of their professed ideals were noble, and many took on blue collar dress, they were not in touch with common folks who wanted social reform as their activities were largely restricted to college campuses. OWS appears to be more inclusive with both blue and white collar types in their rallies.

[-] 1 points by smit00747 (1) 12 years ago

I want to know some issues that are same i.e. like the student issue during SDS and student issue at present in Occupy Wall Street. Please provide me with some more issues. I would appreciate your help.

[-] 1 points by BradB (2693) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

the internet ... ;)

the SDS was underground .. more private ... and did not have the opportunity to reach out to and include the masses like we have now.... this actually is not only working it will succeed eventually