Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: "Was My Life Worth Living" Emma Goldman 1934

Posted 6 years ago on Sept. 5, 2017, 11:05 a.m. EST by agkaiser (2516) from Fredericksburg, TX
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Emma Goldman's 1934 essay speaks to, among other things, the perfidy and deceptiveness of politicians. -

"Of late there has been a new spirit manifested in the youth which is growing up with the depression. This spirit is more purposeful though still confused. It wants to create a new world, but is not clear as to how it wants to go about it. For that reason the young generation asks for saviors. It tends to believe in dictators and to hail each new aspirant for that honor as a messiah. It wants cut and dried systems of salvation with a wise minority to direct society on some one-way road to utopia. It has not yet realized that it must save itself. The young generation has not yet learned that the problems confronting them can be solved only by themselves and will have to be settled on the basis of social and economic freedom in co-operation with the struggling masses for the right to the table and joy of life."

Was My Life Worth Living? | The Anarchist Library

Emma Goldman Was My Life Worth Living? 1934 Published in Harper’s Monthly Magazine, Vol. CLXX, December 1934 theanarchistlibrary.org

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/emma-goldman-was-my-life-worth-living

1 Comments

1 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by agkaiser (2516) from Fredericksburg, TX 6 years ago

One hundred to eighty years ago Americans were more awake than we are today. I'll stick around as long as possible to see what happens next.