Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: The NEW Square Deal, Fair Deal Act of 2015

Posted 10 years ago on July 6, 2013, 4:38 p.m. EST by bigdog187 (47)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Its been a while since I last posted anything here, my sincere apologies for that, but I have been keeping up with The Jones as they say, and so I wanted to share some good news with you my fellow Occupiers.

I AM running for United States Senate in Kentucky in 2014 against Mitch McConnell, as a Democrat! I wanted to share my over all campaign theme which IS, "The Renewing, Restoring, And Rebuilding of Kentucky And America One Neighborhood And One Community At A Time".

I am running to put EVERY Kentuckian as well as EVERY AMERICAN back to work, tomorrow, TOMORROW, under something that I'm calling, "The New Square Deal, Fair Deal Act of 2015". How many of us have ever heard our grandparents, and possibly even our great grandparents talk about The Great Depression and how that millions upon millions of Americans were out of work, homeless, impoverished, etc.? How many?

From 1901, when Theodore Roosevelt was first elected President, to the end of 1945 when his cousin Franklin Roosevelt passed away while occupying The White House nearly 20 million Americans were put to work under such erstwhile organizations as The Civilian Conservation Corps and The Work Progress Administration. WELL I want to bring things like that back and more, there by giving EVERY AMERICAN as well as EVERY ONE OF MY FELLOW KENTUCKIANS a job tomorrow-TOMORROW, that needs, wants and desires one!

THE PLAN: In my last salvo concerning the effort to become the next Democratic United States Senator from Kentucky I touched upon something that I'm calling THE NEW SQUARE DEAL, FAIR DEAL ACT OF 2015: https://www.facebook.com/notes/davidson-for-united-states-senate-2014/the-new-square-deal-fair-deal-act-of-2015/1395007184046345

As of May 2013, according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics their are 175,000 Americans, nationally, who are out of work or who have filed for unemployment benefits, SEE HERE: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Also, and of note according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics their are 2200 Kentuckians, statewide, who are out of work or who have filed for unemployment benefits, SEE HERE ALSO: http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ky.htm

Under The New Square Deal, Fair Deal Act of 2015 EVERY Kentuckian as well as EVERY AMERICAN that needs, wants and desires a Job will go to work tomorrow, TOMORROW, "Renewing, Restoring, And Rebuilding Kentucky And America One Neighborhood And One Community At A Time".

Under this Act EVERY Kentuckian as well as EVERY AMERICAN and their families will have health benefits, guaranteed them and their families, THE VERY 1st DAY ON THE JOB under The Affordable Healthcare Act and or, "Obamacare", so called.

Under this Act EVERY WORKING AMERICAN will have social savings and or Social Security Retirement Benefits At 65 years of age, and or older if they so choose to continue to work, under something that I'm calling The Lock Box Act of 2015. What that means is that when you go to work, "Renewing, Restoring, And Rebuilding Kentucky And America One Neighborhood And One Community At A Time" IS that your Federal, State, And Local Governments cannot touch your retirement benefits, they cannot, BECAUSE your respective representation has a writ large good time robbing your, mine and our social savings in order to pay for their respective legislation. INSTEAD and from now on they will have to find some other way, now and moving forward, to pay for what they pass BECAUSE and right now they do not pay for what they pass, and this should not be!

PLEASE visit my campaign Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/DavidsonForUnitedStatesSenate2014?ref=hl

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/_forthe

Google+ Page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/115275890580241851049/posts

Forgive, please, my long windiness, BUT, and as you can see I am very, very passionate as well as deadly serious about this subject BECAUSE there is no rhyme or reason, in my opinion, that every American who can work, and who wants to work cannot and should not have a job WORKING to Renew, Restore, and Rebuild America and Themselves/Their Families One Neighborhood And One Community At A Time.

Thanks for the opportunity to message YOU, My Fellow Occupiers, My Fellow Citizens Of This World, yet again....

FYI: Check Me Out on YouTube HERE: https://www.youtube.com/user/bigdog187able

29 Comments

29 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by bigdog187 (47) 10 years ago

Wow! Great responses here guys, thanks for your input, it better helps me to formulate the plan. Keep the convo going, smartens me up a whole lot, lol.

[-] 1 points by Narley (272) 10 years ago

I like it. I always thought a CWA program, like the 1930's, would put people to work. But then I wonder if people would join in such a program since we just give out assistance to anyone without requiring some type pay back.

[-] 2 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 10 years ago

Of course they would. A lot of people get Food Stamps but not Welfare, for instance. It puts food on the table but it doesn't put any spending money in your pocket. I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

And you could always tie it to government programs. For example, anyone on Food Stamps could be required to sign up to the program, unless there's a reason they can't work, like they're disabled for instance.

[-] 0 points by Narley (272) 10 years ago

I’d like to believe you’re right. But I’m skeptical. The people who receive entitlements seem to feel they are entitled to them. Some people would feel put upon for having to work for something they already receive for free. Some people would join a CWA program, but I think a lot more would not. Just my cynical two cents.

What I'm saying is, make it a requirement, not a choice. If you don't sign up, you don't get food stamps. A few years ago, there was a requirement, here in MO anyway, that stated you MUST look for work to get food stamps. You had to make a certain number of legitimate contacts each week or your food stamps would be suspended. And, if you got a job offer from one of your contacts, you HAD to accept it. Make it part of the deal.

[-] 2 points by Narley (272) 10 years ago

I agree with you 100%. I'm just think we can't pull it off. OMG, I'm sounding like republican.

[-] 1 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 10 years ago

I don't know how the politicians would set up the requirements if such a program would ever be implemented, but I think if one was, then this sort of thing should be part of the plan. Not only would it help someone like me, who would rather work for my food than sit on my ass, but it might make some of these young people who are getting assistance that don't really deserve it something to think about. Hard work for government assistance or flip burgers at Micky D's. You'd see a lot of them flipping burgers.

Kind of an offshoot of that. I've always thought we should bring back the draft for military service; But allow people to opt out and serve is some other capacity. For instance, I was a draftee, and served in the army. A friend of mine pleaded conscientious objector. He was allowed to serve his time working at a Light House for the Blind. I think it builds character when you have to serve your country.

Yep. I've always liked the idea of having to do two to four years after you turn 18, unless you went to college, I guess. A lot of countries have mandatory service of some kind, like South Korea. It would definitely build character and if we had something like that, the country would be better for it. That 18 to 22 year time span is when a lot of us get into the most trouble. You'd come out more mature, more disciplined, more ready for the harsh realities of the real world.

[-] -1 points by justiceforzim7 (-5) 10 years ago

Food stamps are a unique issue. In my circle of friends, their kids are all 20 somethings that are having babies without getting married. A single mother qualifies for foodstamps. Many of these parents are living together, just not getting married so they can keep the foodstamps coming. This program, like a lot of the entitlements to the "poor" discourage the formation of 2 parent families, which statistics show are better off financially than single parent households. Our welfare system has had many unfortunate, counterproductive results. TO require a single mother to look for work raises child care issues, tho many of my friends kids get that for free AND THEY WON;T WORK

That's true. One of my friend did the same thing for years. He ran a pretty lucrative 'cash-and-carry' business (tires and rims) that his daddy set up. He deliberately didn't marry his woman so she could remain eligible for food stamps and welfare for four kids. They were scamming the system, but truth be told, a lot of people don't. These 'entitlements' as you guys call them are a vital necessity for millions of Americans that, without them, would literally starve. It would be different if there were jobs aplenty, but there aren't. The ONLY reason I'm on food stamps is because it's just about impossible for a 54 year old man to find a job in this town and I can't afford to move.

[-] 0 points by justiceforzim7 (-5) 10 years ago

Oh, I believe in our safety nets. It's just that there are 10's of millions who are abusing the system. I mean, when they do get a job offer, they consider the loss of food stamps in the equation and then a minimum wage job loses its attractiveness. They see welfare as a GIVEN not a temporary safety net. That's why the wpa of the 30's worked. Millions of families would have starved if not for that program. I feel your pain. I lost my job in my forties and I too, was too old. Fortunately, it worked out for me in the end, but I know what you are going through.

Yeah, despite it being illegal, age discrimination is very real. You even have people in government agencies admit it, like my caseworker. But the thing is, you can work AND get food stamps, depending on how much you make. In my case you can make somewhere around $1100 a month before it affects your benefit amount.

Unfortunately, they'll always be people scamming the system, no matter what. Like here in St. Louis, when you buy a car, you have to pay sales tax, but right across the river in Illinois you don't, so there are a whole lot of people living on this side that simply use a relative's address in Illinois to register it, thereby saving hundreds of dollars. And I don't know how some of these people, especially able-bodied young ones, are getting a government check but there's some sort of scam going on, because they are, each and every month.

[-] 1 points by windyacres (1197) 10 years ago

Even though there's truth that many are abusing the system, how many people abusing the system together equal the amount it cost for Mitt Romney's car elevator?

[-] -2 points by justiceforzim7 (-5) 10 years ago

Oh puhleeze, you don't really want to try and play that stupid game, do you? How many people abusing the system equal the amount spent on Potus, his extended family and entourage on that little African trip? How about the sum total of Obama, family and friends first class vacations during his reign? Or even just calendar 13?

And what has Romney's car elevator to do with anything? It wasn't paid for by taxpayers like welfare abuse and Obama's High Life.

[-] 1 points by windyacres (1197) 10 years ago

You mentioned some excellent examples although I am not familiar with calendar 13. Romney's car elevator was indirectly paid for by taxpayers. I certainly didn't intend to bring up the Romney vs Obama show.

I will stop trying to be funny about people saving their money for a car elevator. No one takes it as humor, I've tried it several times.

I hear what your saying there, but its really not based on a pay back system BECAUSE when we did it it would be regarded as shovel ready jobs, in other words jobs that already exists or needs, if you prefer, and such will never ever end because our roads, bridges, tunnels and the like will always need inspecting/repairing. Additionally we can do this as well overseas with programs like USAID and The World Health Organization BECAUSE their are always going to be natural disasters, wars, etc. People abroad always need some type of assistance.

[-] -1 points by Narley (272) 10 years ago

Again I'm the cynic I guess. The ideas are great on paper. The problem, as I see it, is very few people will join such a program. Most of these jobs would most likely be grunt jobs. Kinda like the jobs illegals are doing now. Americans won't do that work anymore. I wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

Not to mention people who receive free hand-outs will not work for something they already get for free.

Maybe so, but we won't know for sure until we try, right? And if I can give a nurse or a NPA a $50.00 an hour job, overseas, working a field hospital in lets say Somalia then why wouldn't they take me up on my offer, especially if I'm offering them free health care for life, via Obamacare and social savings via The Lock Box Act? What would you say to that possibility, do you think a healthcare professional would be willing to do something like that if their were those types of guarantees?

Well, specifically not nurses and most health professionals. They are in high demand and highly paid in the US. They don't have to leave for more money and perks; well maybe the more adventitious might.

However, a lot of other professional might grab at the offer. For instance I have a nephew who is a diesel mechanic, He has been working as a civilian in Iraq for a couple of years. He's making a ton of money.

My apologies to you for the delay of response to my comment above. I am in the midst of another breaking news event for concerning my wife, as we are going through the same issues that Edward Snowden, Bradley Manning, and Thomas Drake went thru, you know The Whistle Blowing Kind, that's all at this time I can share here. HOWEVER, and not to wonder to far off the reservation here, BUT I like the idea of being able to help good folks like your nephew thru an act such as the one that is described. All the best, and keep the faith and interests going in what we're all trying to do here which is make the world a little better place to live in for all of us, right?

[-] 0 points by justiceforzim7 (-5) 10 years ago

Narley, not only that, but those work projects in the 30's only took 1 person per family....paid them $5/mth and sent $25/mth back to the family these folks were working to support. Could you see the entitled self absorbed people of today working under those conditions? ANd most of that work was BACKBREAKING. Planting trees, building bridges, paths, dams. Hah! It sounds good until you try to put it in practice. And 3 squares and a cot? It would have to air conditioned, hot and cold running water, cable tv and wifi

[-] 2 points by bigdog187 (47) 10 years ago

Good points, but not so under this plan, I would be offering them, at a minimum, a base wage of $10.00 an hour (up to $50.00 an hour depending upon the job to which they are applying for and the entity to which they are applying under), 40 to 45hrs. a week, Monday thru Friday hours, guaranteed health benefits, via Obamacare, for themselves and their families their 1st day on the job, and guaranteed social savings via the Lock Box Act. What they would be required to do is to go to their local employment office and fill out a one page long form application with the exact type of work they are looking for/who they want to work for, standard, skill sets, jobs worked, education, etc. Then they would go into a system and via that system the necessary entity such as Job Corps or USAID would contact them via their contact info on the on line app that they put down for a formal interview, at that interview it would then be determined by the interviewer if they have a place for them/for their skill sets, the more qualified the better BECAUSE if your a general laborer lets say and your applying to be a nurse in Hitch Land, New Zealand then you won't get hired to work for the World Health Organization or UNICEF. As such they would then be referred to another more suitable entity and that entity would then place them based on the skill sets they offer. The very next day they would go to work, particularly if it was a local entity (Job Corps, Amer-I-Care, etc.) however if it was an overseas entity it would be ten days to two weeks before they went to work giving them the time necessary that they would need for travel and logistics. Hope that helps you better understand exactly where I'm coming from on this? If not let me know, okay?

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by Theeighthpieceuv8 (-32) from Seven Sisters, Wales 10 years ago

Good luck with that. At the moment government is stealing everything it can just to remain afloat in light of their spending.

Thank you for your faith and consideration in this matter, its appreciated. Please keep the discussion going, pro or con alike it matters not, but is welcomed and appreciated...

Wow. I forgot what the question was.

Some times that happens to the best of us. I was answering or rather correcting your point to a previous poster on here who was addressing the issue of who exactly this program/act would benefit verses who it wouldn't benefit, that's all. Thank you though for your contribution to our discussion here, it helps me better understand things from the greatly concerned citizens perspective, we are not that far off you and I...

No offense but you can buy votes for less; in this economy most will sell cheap. Where have the jobs gone; where has the regional economy gone, that really is the question. There can be no equal opportunity without opportunity; how to create economy, that is the question.

Yes, that is the question, and that's why I hope we will get to the bottom of that in answer by way of this act, but I could well be wrong though. What say you, what could I do or not do differently in getting this idea out there? Thanks!