Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 'Tea party' remains resolute, with 2012 in view

Posted 11 years ago on June 1, 2012, 8:50 p.m. EST by francismjenkins (3713)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/03/nation/la-na-tea-party-targets-20111004

In article after article, I'm not seeing a tea party who's lying down and accepting the declaration of their death made by media pundits. Indeed, they still appear to be a powerful force in republican party politics, and apparently they're able to sustain support between election cycles, so they make a reappearance with every election cycle, presumably with a goal of getting a dozen, or even a few more candidates elected.

If they can maintain this momentum, it's easy enough to see where this is heading. Eventually, the republican party will become the tea party.

I may completely disagree with the tea party on its stated objectives, but I also admit .... it's hard not to admire their strategy.

53 Comments

53 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by Puzzlin (2898) 11 years ago

After the next election cycle they will fade. They were propped up by some rich donors (like the Koch Bros) and Fox News shilled for them every change they could get. I saw them at an Obama actually. There were about 50,000 of us and TP, a whopping four. pitiful. Most who passed by them just felt sorry for them, they seemed so out of place. I was a little stronger in my response since I also had my own message to convey as they did.

Their day in the sun is over.

[-] 2 points by francismjenkins (3713) 11 years ago

I thought the same thing, it looked like they were done months ago, yet they're making a resurgence. Maybe they're gaining inspiration from OWS (I think a lot of people counted OWS out a couple months ago, but after May Day, people have changed their tune). I guess all those old fogies in the tea party must have said, if these damn hippies can keep it going, we need to get our asses back on the astroturf :)

BTW, the whole "hippy" thing ... I have no idea where that comes from. I got out of the military on April 12th of this year, and my hair is already longer than most male occupiers I've met :)

[-] 1 points by Puzzlin (2898) 11 years ago

Tis true, time will tell with the TP. We will see, and certainly my prediction is partly wishful thinking since I would have been happy to see them gone already. But their emergence didn't surprise me because that belief they have was already there on the fringes. I just want them back where they belong on the fringe with the other cuckoo nuts. LoL

By the way, welcome back, your service to our country is nothing less than honorable. I hope you get whatever you need as you assimilate back to civilian life.

Puzzlin

[-] 1 points by TheTrollSlayer (347) from Kingsport, TN 11 years ago

LOL, you are correct. I cant believe that term came back around. I remember those times, as well as commie pinko, even though i was young then and not part of such. These people are different and it's just part of a smear of the occupy movement to discredit them by those who oppose and those who chose to believe it.

[-] 0 points by tupacsugar (-136) 11 years ago

Your apathy is expected,however your prediction will be shot down and hopefully I'll still be here under whatever name to rub your nose in it.

[-] 1 points by Puzzlin (2898) 11 years ago

You can always dream the impossible dream. I won't stop you.

[-] 1 points by 1sealyon (434) 11 years ago

Following is a list of core principles from one Tea Party website. Do you really completely disagree with all of these?

• FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY

• CONSTITUTIONALLY LIMITED GOVERNMENT

• FREE MARKET ECONOMICS

https://www.teapartypatriots.org/about/?gclid=CIWo3dzCsLACFUJo4AodVHGfSg

[-] 2 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

Fiscal responsibility- I support carrying some debt (not 16T) but some is acceptable. as long as we are using the money we borrow to create economic growth.

Limited govt- I support keeping the govt out of the bedroom, and out womens vagina. I do want the govt to watch/regulate the corp 1% criminals who have crashed the world economy. I also believe in the govt providing help for the weakest among us. (It is after all how we will be judged)

Free market- As long we don't let corps run roughshod over the American worker. The govt should for the people not the corps. The market and the corps should be serving the people. I don't think the TP is with that. But who knows. They seem pretty mean and heart less when I've seen them. And they certainly don't support us at OWS.

[-] 0 points by 1sealyon (434) 11 years ago

Common ground. Nice.

Better be careful, you may find you self on a ship in Boston harbor throwing Tetley boxes in the sea.

[Removed]

[Removed]

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by geo (2638) from Concord, NC 11 years ago

What has the Tea Party actually accomplished? I keep asking this and keep getting no response...

[-] 1 points by francismjenkins (3713) 11 years ago

I don't know, they got some people elected, they have a voice in congress, but still, I suppose they haven't really accomplished much. My point was more aimed at their continued existence, even though they did enter the political realm. So it's not necessarily suicidal for a movement to have some focus on political reform .... but don't take my OP too seriously. I support OWS, even if I think there may be some flaws with this whole thing, it's the only serious movement of any size or momentum that cares about the things I care about.

So whether or not the strategy of OWS can successfully adapt to circumstances, I'll still remain supportive, and I empathize with the reasoning behind OWS's apolitical approach. I just think more flexibility will ultimately be needed.

[-] -1 points by tupacsugar (-136) 11 years ago

What has the Tea Party actually accomplished?"

You're too smart and informed to make a statement like that. You know very well what the Tea Party has accomplished you just refuse to acknowledge it for fear of giving the TP any credit for getting results.

[-] 3 points by francismjenkins (3713) 11 years ago

Right, I have to agree with you. Even in the face of low public approval, they're still around, still getting candidates elected (and as it became apparent that the tea party is more fixated on their own dogma rather than coming up with rational solutions, their popularity did sink).

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by geo (2638) from Concord, NC 11 years ago

Your answer is exactly what I get.... give me a list. On the Federal Level what have they accomplished?

[Removed]

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by hchc (3297) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

The tea party will never become part of the establishment because their main goal is less spending, and Goldman Sachs likes funding our debt.

The banks run the D and R parties, and that will never change.

Besides, in 2011, over half of the 66 tea "caucus" voted for the record breaking credit card that allowed for more war. One year in and over half of their people decided they liked hanging out in DC more than they did serving the people that voted for them.

Stop allowing politicians to move to DC and congregate after being elected.

Not a bad idea, breakup the DC monopoly :)

[-] 1 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

Yeah. Why should they vote on anything. VOTES? We don't need no stinkin votes!

Is that really how this suggestion registered in your brain?

Don't they go to DC to vote.? And how does it matter where they are?. If we want to limit non constituent influence lets outlaw lobbying! Lets get all money out of politics. Lets put in place easy recalls. Lets eliminate party primaries to end the 2 party duopoly. I like those ideas better. Lets mandate that all citizens must vote, Lets overturn citizens united, and end corporate personhood. How does that register in YOUR brain!

That registers just fine in my brain ....

Then we are in agreement. Perhaps some verifiable method where specific votes can be had only after a representative has gotten referendum approval (maybe over the internet) from their constituents. That might be valuable. And I would support that representatives be allowed to vote from their home districts (video internet). I don't know how valuable it would be but I can support it.

[-] -3 points by monticello (-28) 11 years ago

A vote for the Democrats or a vote for the Republicans is a vote for the status quo. Both parties and their puppet politicians answer to the same masters. You know, VQ[whatever], the one's paying you to pollute this forum with pro-regime propaganda...

http://occupywallst.org/forum/americans-have-three-choices-in-november-bushbamne/

http://occupywallst.org/forum/how-democrats-exploit-occupy-counterpunchorg/

You want to silence me.? You can't! We disagree that the parties are the same. Get over it. You insult me. I laugh. You threaten me. I report the abuse. You try to silence me. I speak louder. These are the reasons I know I am right. You can't show me how the parties are the same. You can't dispute the facts I've sighted. Sorry. You're wrong.

[Removed]

[-] 4 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

You want to silence me.? You can't! We disagree that the parties are the same. Get over it. You insult me. I laugh. You threaten me. I report the abuse. You try to silence me. I speak louder. These are the reasons I know I am right. You can't show me how the parties are the same. You can't dispute the facts I've cited. Sorry. You're wrong.

[-] -1 points by monticello (-28) 11 years ago

You haven't "cited" anything. For the umpteenth time, a "citation" online requires a supporting link to a substantial authoritative source...

A vote for the Democrats or a vote for the Republicans is a vote for the status quo. Both parties and their puppet politicians answer to the same masters. You know, VQ[whatever], the one's paying you to pollute this forum with pro-regime propaganda...

http://occupywallst.org/forum/americans-have-three-choices-in-november-bushbamne/

Force em to stay living in their districts, so the people know where to find em when they fuck up.

Fear of those that vote for them is a good thing.

I like the idea of a constitutional amendment making recall elections a civil right, and forcing these politicians to hold public hearings before voting on anything (and citizen watchdog groups to host public hearings, political debates, provide research & informational services to facilitate public oversight of our political system, and so on).

Backroom meetings with lobbyists should be abolished. If politicians want to meet with corporate or special interest representatives, they can do so in public meetings, where they have the same access as everyone else (no more exclusive access, no more gifts to politicians, no more revolving door, etc.).

Why has 92% of wall st donations gone to the R's? Doesn't that mean they prefer the R's? Didn't the R's water down the Fin reform? I think only 1 or 2 R's voted for it. And Aren't the R's trying to slow down it's implementation.? Didn't the R's hold up the Consumer fin protection agency by preventing a vote on its head? Do none of these facts mean anything.?

[-] 1 points by JoeTheFarmer (2654) 11 years ago

Good site on who influences elections. http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?order=A

I avoid clicking on strangers links. Apparently it's possible to infect computers this way. But maybe you can impart what it says about wall st donations. I won't call you a liar.

it you do not want to click in the link, just type opensecrets.org into your browser address.

If you are afraid to to that then type opensecrets into the google search page.

But you won't impart what the gist of it is? Thats odd. As if you want me to go to some site you've set up just to infect my computer? Thats alright. I'll find my own info. Thanks anyway. Mayube you want to tell me what you think about money in poltics. We don't really need links to discuss do we? I don't.

Actually I just went out to dinner so I did not have time. Now I am going to take the dog for a walk.

There are hundreds of pages in campaign finance.

I hope you enjoyed your dinner. I hope you enjoy the dog. They can by most enjoyable members of the family. I wouldn't expect you to recite hundreds of pages. just your own beliefs in quick posts would be most valuable. Do you think there is too much money in politics,? citizens united? corporate personhood? Who gets more wall st money. what are your thoughts.?

[Removed]

Where are you getting hte 92% from? Links?

You don't believe it.? I think it came from the wall st journal. Disregard it!. What about the facts on the issues. Do you not believe that either?

[-] 1 points by hchc (3297) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

I believe the R did that. Because that is what it happened.

And I also believe if the D wasnt in cohoots with them, the final products would look drastically different.

The machine's main goal is managing public opinion. If the general public loses faith, it would get real ugly.

But the Fin 1% criminals are vehemently against even the weak fin reform that the D's passed and the R's are still fighting. And the R's have said they would undu it if elected. This is to convince us that they are doing something.? So the R's are playing when they filibuster every tax increase on the wealthy the D's push. Just playing when they obstruct fin protection for the 99%. And the D's are not really doing anything for the 99% with these efforts?

[-] 2 points by hchc (3297) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

You have to stop looking at these little battles between the two and realize that the stuff they are arguing about is/would be meaningless reform in the grand scheme of things.

The financial reform the Dems proposed was fuckin pathetic. It was disgraceful. And right did what its base is used to which was claim it was job killing.

In truth, it only strengthened the grip of the big six banks on the rest of the competition.

When both party's voters are scared of the other, it allows for zero accountability of your own. Which is what hte 1% want.

[-] 3 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

The fin reform the D's passed was obviously pathetic. But wasn't that because the R's fought it and changed it and watered it down. Did I imagine that? Are you trying to convince me these positions don't matter. They do! The dems have moved too far right and lost their backbone but we can't get a 3rd party elected so we must attempt to bring the dems back to the FDR liberals that brought us Social security, Medicare, and so forth. It is more likely to get that than get a 3rd party elected.

[Removed]

You want to silence me.? You can't! We disagree that the parties are the same. Get over it. You insult me. I laugh. You threaten me. I report the abuse. You try to silence me. I speak louder. These are the reasons I know I am right. You can't show me how the parties are the same. You can't dispute the facts I've cited. Sorry. You're wrong.

[Removed]

LINKS? We don' need no stinkin' links!. Besides it's too easy to find whatever you want on the internet. Loses it's value. And the threat of passing virus' to computers is so great. You disagree with my contentions regarding where the parties stand?. You disagree the dems have moved to the right in the lastv 30 years?. you disagree the repub appointed judges have created this citizens united nightmare of 1% flood of cash? You won't dispute these facts that I contend. cause you can't! HA! Because you are a repub plant. You are the plant not me.

[Removed]

[+] -4 points by monticello (-28) 11 years ago

The requirement is not a "link". The requirement is a link to a "substantial authoritative source". And as you post drivel laced with propaganda, you have no such "citations" to offer. That is understandable.

So you won't comment on what I contend? because I haven't sent a link? Please. Just an excuse! Instead you insult me. Not surprising. Thats your MO. Schoolyard bullying tactics like your candidate Romney. Repubs signed the Norquist pledge, Dems didn't. Need a link to comment on that fact? Or will you just insult this fact as drivel? You must be a Repub plant if you refuse to respond.

[Removed]

Sorry. Can't risk a virus. You have threatened to attack me remember?

[-] -2 points by monticello (-28) 11 years ago

That link is to THIS forum. If you are concerned about getting viruses from THIS forum, you should stop posting here. In fact, PLEASE DO SO.

You want to silence me.? You can't! We disagree that the parties are the same. Get over it. You insult me. I laugh. You threaten me. I report the abuse. You try to silence me. I speak louder. These are the reasons I know I am right. You can't show me how the parties are the same. You can't dispute the facts I've sighted. Sorry. You're wrong.

[-] -3 points by monticello (-28) 11 years ago

"You can't dispute the facts I've sighted."

1. It's "cited", not "sighted".

2. You haven't cited any.

[Removed]

[-] 3 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

[Removed]

[Removed]

I've been told not to click on your links. They are likely to have virus' sorry. Why don't you just tell me what you want to say.?

[Removed]

[-] -2 points by monticello (-28) 11 years ago

You are a lying pro-regime propagandist, VQ[whatever]...

Thats kinda harsh. You also think the R's are the same as the D's. What about the facts I mentioned above?

[Removed]

[Removed]