Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Pass hr 1489....regulate wall street

Posted 12 years ago on Oct. 8, 2011, 4:10 p.m. EST by stephenthehuman (4)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

OK your angry i get it so am I, I'm going to the occupy San Antonio protest tonight. but after talking to allot of people i recognize that one this is lacking. the after plan or goal. We are protesting the "One percent". They know we are angry, we know we are angry. this is nothing new.
So what next, after the media exposure does the anger just fade, we got it out of our system? No wall street needs to be regulated and that can only be done by passing a law to regulate them. Its easy to get a city to endorse a bill or a state to endorse a bill. Call them! all it takes is for a political office get slammed with faxes or phone calls for a few days before they go crazy and do what ever you say. you are the government don't just bitch while holding a sign. be extra effective. 
 HR 1489 is a great bill to try to get passed. it a modern "glass steigal" act. it separates banks from wall street protecting the common man from bank failure and from being looted by there bank by extra fees. 
 SO call your state congressman tell them to back and support HR 1489, and other bills you might think are helpful. 

3 Comments

3 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by echambers1974 (3) 12 years ago

stephenthehuma said: "We point at 1% of the population."

Then he asked: "What were the 99% doing during that time?"

My answer: Trusting that our vote actually meant something.

The fact is that the middle class is very patient and will put up with a lot of crap before getting fed up. Don't believe me? Think about how many ATM and banking fees you paid along the way before BOA caused the NC woman to raise a stink about paying to use her own money.

When ATMs first came out you could use any one any where without a fee...When the fees started we all bitched but, we all paid. It took twenty years to pull the plug on that banking practice so it is no wonder it took the 99% 20 years to revolt against Wall Street and the Fedreral Govt.

stephenthehuman did get one thing right though...I blame the whole 100% as well. The 1% for robbing us and 99% for putting up with it for so long!

In defense of some of the 99% though Michael Moore may have had a point in "Capitalism a Love Story" when he pointed out the propaganda the 1% put out along the way convinced most of the 99% that they too could one day reach the top. (If you have not see Moore's masterpiece then watch it and look for the scene with the small dog jumping next to the dinner table trying to get the food)

[-] 1 points by stardust (3) 12 years ago

Where was everybody the last 20 yrs during Wallstreet's boom? Managing their investment portfolios. It was evil then as much as now. The public was seduced then by greed, and yet is.

Wallstreet. Tear it down brick by brick, investor by investor, CEO by CEO, deadly sin by deadly sin. Starve the rats out. It won't happen playing their game, playing the media, playing politicians. From the ashes will rise the pheonix. Let's get started.

[-] 1 points by stephenthehuman (4) 12 years ago

that sounds crazy.... any way its funny that things have gone to shit but we point at 1% of the population. what were the 99% doing during that time? America is a republic, as in, the population is directly involved in the legislative process. The last of the important market regulation was removed in 1999 with the end of glass stigel, but every one was so sedated, apathetic, and plain out avoiding reality we let it happen knowing the implications, well some of us didn't know per-say what would happen but that just clarifies the fact that we lost the knowledge of interacting with our own government and how to be our own government. i Point my finger at the whole 100%.