Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Over 300 Economists have pledged support to the Occupy Movement

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 10, 2011, 12:35 p.m. EST by TheTrollSlayer (347) from Kingsport, TN
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Upon rechecking this ive found the numbers to have grown. To the trolls, bullsh*t these facts. http://rwer.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/300-economists-give-support-for-the-occupy-wall-street-movement/

12 Comments

12 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 6 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

I like their statement:

We are economists who oppose ideological cleansing in the economics profession. Equally we oppose political cleansing in the vital debate over the causes and consequences of our current economic crisis.

We support the efforts of the Occupy Wall Street movement across the country and across the globe to liberate the economy from the short-term greed of the rich and powerful one percent.

We oppose cynical and perverse attempts to misuse our police officers and public servants to expel advocates of the public good from our public spaces.

We extend our support to the vision of building an economy that works for the people, for the planet, and for the future, and we declare our solidarity with the Occupiers who are exercising our democratic right to demand economic and social justice.

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

I saw this, this is great.

[-] 1 points by pinker (586) 12 years ago

Then please let them start doing some of the talking because this site is seriously sounding and looking like freshmen in college are running the movement. Let them show you what you can do with that half mil to hire someone to run a mature website. And let them figure out where the donation money is because apparently, according to the meeting transcripts, the financial team can't seem to figure it out.

In other words. get some grownups ASAP.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by JadedCitizen (4277) 12 years ago

This is a really nice post. Econ4.org is a really cool website.

[-] 0 points by necropaulis (491) 12 years ago

And exactly what are these people going to do for you?? And how many of them would be considered the "1%" under whoever's determination of "1%" Nobody misused the cops. The occupiers misused the laws. And why would economists want their profession cleansed(interesting term, cleansing). If these economists knew so much, they would understand there is no black and white "1%" to go after. Some say Gates and Jobs are/were okay because they contribute to society, others disagree, because they are still rich. So who are they really after, the guy that earned his way to the top, vs someone who rob, stole, or married their way in?? How do they tell the difference?? Considering most of these people are from places I never heard of(Ontario Nurses’ Association, wha??), they would likely be ignored like the rest

[-] 2 points by TheTrollSlayer (347) from Kingsport, TN 12 years ago

Hey genius, this movement is supported by all kinds of professionals that well understand whats been going on. Ever heard of Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig, heres his video's on money in politics, http://goo.gl/XEnM3 He doesnt take sides in politics and he damn sure knows what he's talking about. These people can document how all such has deteriorated this country already and continues to unless you think you know more than them. This is what this movement wants changed.

Never said I did. And I'm no genius, but I am up there. You must admit, though, that their statement that was quoted at the top of the page is a little odd in some places. You still didn't answer the question posed in my post, btw.

[-] 2 points by gestopomillyy (1695) 12 years ago

we are not after anyone that 'made it to the top' per say. its what they do once they are there. its called resposibility

[-] 1 points by TIOUAISE (2526) 12 years ago

"gestopomillyy" writes: "It's called RESPONSIBILITY."

Hear, hear!

[-] -1 points by necropaulis (491) 12 years ago

What guidelines are they judged by?? If you're not after those that made it to the top, then who?? You can do people dirty on the way up just as easily as you can do them dirty at the top. Just because I have more than you, why should I be obligated to build a hospital, for example. I'm responsible for paying taxes on my money, that's it. If I do that, what would I be considered, friend or foe. The rich can keep their money, Throw it out the top story of their building or burn it in their front lawn(not really, that's illegal). They are responsible for nothing but the guidelines set in front of them. Once those are taken care of, who cares what they do?? What socially responsible things do you do with your pay?? Do you help the homeless, help build houses in your spare time, or do you live your life as you see fit?? If you think they are responsible to you in any way, then you are responsible for those poorer than you.

[-] 1 points by gestopomillyy (1695) 12 years ago

not with their pay.. with the manipulating the system .. i.e. promoting loans to people that they know cannot meet the obligation.. knowing this will cause a economic crisis for the country. that kind of obligation. making their pay by doing things for a quick buck that they know will cause problems on a grand scale later on. those people the ones with greed and no integrity and dont say well it was legal so what,, its legal to kill the neighbors dog if it crosses into your property is that what you do?

The people asking for the loan also knew they wouldn't be able to pay it back. There are very few "quick buck" ideas for them. Ever since computerization, anything you(and them) do electronically can be tracked. I think the whole stimulus package everyone(including businesses and banks) got. It created money out of nowhere and loosened rules, which is why you're half right. If the bank gives out $250,000 to get a house for someone, and buyer only gives back 10,000(if that), who makes money?? Another problem was the Cash for Clunkers idea.Lots of jobs were lost. Auto dealerships had to close, plants were closed. I lost a very good job over that. Then we had to bail out the auto industry, and then the banks. Which is one of the problems/questions of why aren't there any "camp/groups" at the doors of the Big 3?? You're analogy is a bit extreme. That would be trespassing, and c'mon why would you shoot a dog?? This is like when a gambler asks the mob for a front based on a hand of poker. He knows he wouldn't be able to pull it off if he loses(and the mob knows this). He also know of the severe aftermath of this loss. But he does it anyway against a loaded deck. Each party knows who will win and who will lose from the gate, but they do it anyway. Now I also understand that some people got caught in the fallout (after all, you can't class every player in this game as one and the same), and thankfully, they are being paid back and then some.