Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: [DELETED]

Posted 11 years ago on March 28, 2013, 11:37 p.m. EST by anonymous ()
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

[DELETED]

54 Comments

54 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by gsw (3407) from Woodbridge Township, NJ 11 years ago

Here's a recap of the day's new posts, for those who were missed it....

DKA had a great post on Keystone Pipeline, with only 1 comment

People kill with guns, has 2 comments, it looks like an oldie but goodie topic

some yahoo republican congressman ileagly parked 0 comment

new complicated economy 1 comment

Gun thread Adam Lanza 2 comments

a troll post on goldman sachs 1 comment

A Wako guy apparently got off after how many years?????? I could not find the jist of this one, or was there falsified evidence??? 9 comments

Another Keystone/Tarsands, 20 comments

KKK cartoon 2 comments

another prison reform 0 comments

another prison... insane should not be in prisons where they aren't treated... 13 comments

Syria News 0 comments

Regulate Pot like tobacco and alcohol 25 comments

Prison ed is not real.... 1 comment.

this tar sands post http://occupywallst.org/forum/want-the-real-info-about-canada-tar-sands-from-dav/ was narrowly defeated by decriminalize weed thread. http://occupywallst.org/forum/its-time-to-move-marijuana-from-the-dea-to-the-atf/ if we look at number of comments.

However, between them only 45 comments total. so it was a slow day for news on ows.

guess I should read the threads commented on in the last hour or so, but some of them are kind of stale.

ok nothing was missed. read the tar sands thread.

besides that the day was very fluffy

[-] 3 points by Kavatz (464) from Edmonton, AB 11 years ago

this tar sands post http://occupywallst.org/forum/want-the-real-info-about-canada-tar-sands-from-dav/ was narrowly defeated by decriminalize weed thread.

And half the replies to the post were from the same person who posted it. But it's the better one by far! ;~)

[-] 4 points by gsw (3407) from Woodbridge Township, NJ 11 years ago

One of the top 2 new posts of the day.

There seems to be lots of random posts, if there was a way to categorize them by some identifiers, it might make the site more appealing to people, so they can get their head around this and figure out what are the main issues of ows, so if there was a search function or a categories list and the person who creates the post can choose a few descriptors for the thrust of the post.

[-] -3 points by justiceforzim (-17) 11 years ago

I don't know about OWS, but the main issues on this website are villifying gun owners and Reoublicans....and prisons! LOL

[-] 5 points by gsw (3407) from Woodbridge Township, NJ 11 years ago

3 people post for like 30 people at times

if there were some big categories, and sub categories, might make it easier to approach topic of interest and to move issues forward.

we seem to just kick around much of same stuff day after day.

things I am interested in are hard to find in the maze of weirdly named threads, you aren't sure what you will find, so if you like surprises

[-] -2 points by justiceforzim (-17) 11 years ago

Gsw, this site is a playground controlled by left wing trolls (or are they really right wing trolls making left wingers look ridiculous? I just cannot decide what the true motivation of shoes and VQ are. Same goes for Thrassy. I am surprised none of them has jumped on the username "Sybil") There are a few posters that are sincere, but they are in the minority. Anybody that is truly serious about building a better world doesn't come here for conversation or inspiration.....or should I say STAY here?

[-] 3 points by frovikleka (2563) from Island Heights, NJ 11 years ago

I do

~Odin~

[-] 2 points by Builder (4202) 11 years ago

I do too.

If you give up that easily, what will happen when you come up against some real opposition?

[-] 4 points by Renneye (3874) 11 years ago

Ditto!

[-] 1 points by frovikleka (2563) from Island Heights, NJ 11 years ago

It's probably best if you did not marry anyone like me Renny ;-), but as a colleague in a monumental struggle, I'm your man

~Odin~

[-] 1 points by Renneye (3874) 11 years ago

Awww, and here I was, just about to start flirting with you. C'est la vie! ~.^

But, dear Odin...you have enough of the 'feisty' in you that I'd be quite content and delighted with you as a colleague in any monumental struggle.

My warning came just in time then, eh? ;-) And Thanks Renny, I'm happy you're here too

~Odin~

[-] 2 points by Renneye (3874) 11 years ago

Heheheh! Well....I wouldn't go that far. ~.^

After all, it seems to me we're in it for the long haul with this 'monumental struggle'. It can't be all work, and no play!

[-] 3 points by frovikleka (2563) from Island Heights, NJ 10 years ago

Yes we definitely are in for a "long haul with this monumental struggle" that we are in

But as Chris Hedges who covered the uprisings in Eastern Europe said, there is just no telling how long these things will take

Anyway building friendships and being there for each other in this struggle is very important

The day that I did Jail Support, and had the chance to be there for a very traumatized woman was by far and away the most rewarding experience that I have had in Occupy

"It can't be all work and no play!" Errr....what are you suggesting Renny? French phrases like "c'est la vie" drive me crazy and you know I have been cursed with that Viking heritage...lololol

~Odin~

[-] 3 points by Renneye (3874) 10 years ago

Oh mon dieu! ~.^

I warmly remember your poignant description of your and your new friend's emotional experience that day.

"building friendships and being there for each other in this struggle is very important." I could not agree more, Odin. It is feeling very much that way among friends on the forum these days, and I'm certain at the protests on the ground as well. But You, personify the particular brand of what Occupy means and strives to do. Glad to know ya, Odin!!

Édith Piaf - La Vie En Rose (1946) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBh_JE5efwQ

[-] 2 points by frovikleka (2563) from Island Heights, NJ 10 years ago

Replying here. Yes we do have the oligarch's divisive "number now", and I really enjoy 'calling them' on it....sometimes with my dry quirky humor.. when one of them comes here trying to create new divisions, or attempts to bring the old ones out of the bag

It was amazing that it took us so long to awaken, but very heartening to see it for the first time in NY. I literally hate leaving those wonderful people, and returning to so many airheads.

I do find though that more and more unexpected people know what has and continues to go on. The lady at my credit union was as radical in her viewpoints as many people here.

The cable guy too was expecting things to come to a head soon. I gave him some of my lit to kinda help him along, and will do the same with the CU woman soon. This kind of everyday outreach is important to our struggle.

Being there for that woman was as close as I could get to being a 'knight in shining armor,' and it was extremely satisfying for me. But it has also been returned to me too in my having had a young woman call me more than once to see if I made it home safely after taking part in direct actions. I wish I coud do more. I really do.

I wasn't sure if I went too far last time 'mon amie' so it is ~.^....all in the name of building COMMUNITY... of course ;-)

~Odin~

[-] 2 points by frovikleka (2563) from Island Heights, NJ 10 years ago

Renny, you never let up. You know how crazy I get when hearing French and now provacative cyber symbols...lol What they mean?

I was on cloud nine after the experience of helping that traumatized young woman. It was the final thing that I did after an incredible S17 weekend. I hugged her on the subway to Grand Central and teased her saying, Your husband wouldn't like me hugging you up like this," and in between sobs, she said something like, "He wouldn't mind." Sure enough, he didn't when i talked to him a couple of days later, and in fact was very appreciative. It was when she held her fist to her heart, and then blew me a kiss while her train started rolling is when we both lost it. I hope to see her again someday.

It's been over thirty years since I've been to France, having taken the hover craft from Dover to Callais, then the high-speed train to Paris. No time for night-clubbing with three little ones. We visited friends who were leaving there in two weeks to go back to Ramallah in the West Bank, him a professor at the universtiy there, and her a mid-wife

Thanks for the Edith Piaf - La Vie En Rose. It reminded me of that beautiful city of romance.

It's really good to know you too Renny, and you also have the wonderful qualities that will help sustain our struggle

~Odin~

[-] 3 points by Renneye (3874) 10 years ago

Hahahah! What do they mean? It means I'm a hopeless flirt! And the better I get to know someone, the worse (or better ~.^) it gets. Heheh!

It got me into trouble once...and a good friend recently told me I should knock it off. Probably good advice. But thanks for playing along, dear man.

I remember the first time I read your experience about that day. I was all teary. Even just this short reminder evoked a misty eyed response. What a lucky man you are to have shared such an experience with a friend. THIS is the reason we are here on this earth. To make deep connections with our fellow human beings. We were just led astray for a while...but we've got 'their' number now.

[-] 3 points by frovikleka (2563) from Island Heights, NJ 11 years ago

Exactly! This is one place where my persistance and hard-headedness has worked well for me.

Again: "Nothing that is really worthwhile is ever easy. Remember that." Nicholas Sparks

There will be highs and lows throughout our struggle

~Odin~

Having critics means you're doing something right.

Either that, or you are an ass....

When you do anything, or say anything, you are opening yourself up for cirticism. To avoid it, it is best not to leave your house.

I remember burning up a clutch on one of our engines on the boat. I felt terrible especially since it was my first week on that job. The Yugoslavian boss of the mechanics came down, and i was all apologies. He said in broken English, "Men who work make mistake." I went on to work for that company for another 18 years, and not only never made a mistake like that again, I excelled at my job being entrusted with their more difficult work. And that boss and I became the best of friends during those years.

~Odin~

Cool story. Faint heart never won fair maiden.

I used to go out of my way to not offend anyone. Now I simply focus on the goal, and try to be helpful, if I see the opportunity arise.

We all have our own row to hoe.

Thanks, anytime Andre, (his name) who like me was demanding, but a geuinely nice man, came down to our boat i always remembered his understanding from my first week's screw-up, and I would pull out some of the 12 yr old stuff which he loved

Sometime people confuse other people that are good guys with being weak, and that burns the shit out of me, and i have always put a stop to it quick

I try to mix my innate stubborness with compassion on here as long as the other person is not nasty or here for nefarious reasons

~Odin~

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 11 years ago

I like your style.

And the 12 yr old stuff must be pretty good too.

Thanks. Yes it was lovely ;-), and he knew i had it when I asked him if he could take a look at some leaky pipes under the galley sink

~Odin~

[-] 1 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

Well.

I come to this site to contribute current information, & encourage actions regarding the issues that occupy has taken a stand on.

In addition I (VQkag2) am unashamedly a left wing progressive, like 99% of the Occupiers (and occupy supporters) I've met in NYC.

So my motivation is to break the grip of the corp 1% oligarchs and improve the lives of the 99%

[-] 2 points by gsw (3407) from Woodbridge Township, NJ 11 years ago

well for some maybe. if those people had their own category to discuss those issues, maybe they could start to identify some issues of agreement and disagreement.

those are not my issues at all. I want to bridge the divide, ...get country working.... give people hope for better future

http://occupywallst.org/forum/initiative-democracy-pros-cons-can-it-work-in-time/

DIRECT DEMOCRACY AMENDMENT TO REPAIR DYSFUNCTIONAL GOVERNMENT AND CONTROL ITS EXCESSES—SUMMARY AND INTRODUCTION

[-] 3 points by gsw (3407) from Woodbridge Township, NJ 11 years ago

Scanning the last weeks new posts, the top commented is "not really an Ows issue, but id like your opinion" 145 comments.

Many posts with few or no comments

The sight is becoming uninteresting, and not user friendly, considering if we would like to offer some big solution and consciousness shift. Discussion on many issues, taking a stand, those are important.

How about what are the next levels, or goals might we want? There are many. If there were a list of issues and topics, I know it has been brought up before, for over a year.

It seems like we need a better plan for us and the site, to move forward and utilize its power.

Somebody commented it was a lot of trolls trolling trolls here now

Healthcare debt was the top commented thread I see for the week.

Similarly, Student debt was big. I know my credit debt is like almost half my net annual income. Trying to get it down, only good thing is interest is still relatively low, otherwise I'd be looking toward possible bankruptcy.

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

God forbid, we look at where the money is going.

[Deleted]

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

Number one, criminal justice is by and large left to the states. Therefore, if you are paying to have your kid in Juvi then that is a local issue and it is not true in other areas.

Number two, see this: "plus when the cops did the move shooting the tires and bumping car, stopping with guns drawn, over a joint in a car and not exiting vehicle when asked by cop, drivin away when he grabbed her hair. Moronic teen and system? So a joint roach turned into felonies assult of officer and fleeing."

It's called minimizing. Kids do stupid shit. Adults do even dumber shit.

Considering the issues, that I have posted they are not fluffy. You just don't like them. Fair enough but, they sure as hell are not fluffy.

[-] 1 points by Kavatz (464) from Edmonton, AB 11 years ago

I'm not in a position to try to change this forum, I actually like it as is but it could be much better. I'm thankful for it anyways, even with all the bs.

I think I would structure the site like a pyramid. Root cause(s) of all issues at the top. Next, direct surface issues or high-level symptoms of the root (crime, poverty, inequality, pollution, corruption, etc.). Closer to the bottom, manifestations of the surface issues (specific crimes, suicides, starvings, injustices, losses, evils, etc.)

There should be a separate forum on each level of the pyramid, but with statistics and links for everything in one place. The main page is the stats/links page with a dynamic graphic of the pyramid to "step" into. Also on that page, a personal sidebar column with your posts, follows, stats, account info link (join/create account could be at the top of this column).

Just having fun but interested in other thoughts.

[-] 2 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

at least it's an unbiased opinion I can't argue

fluffy if you are not among the millions with employment/legal issues due to pot...I know like sitting at the back of the bus it's not that big a deal, why get upset the sentence is small

[Deleted]

thanks for sharing I didn't mean to start a fight or anything, just the small things matter too and we often don't think about what imposing morals on others might cause

[-] 1 points by gsw (3407) from Woodbridge Township, NJ 11 years ago

we need awareness on this issue.

We have the biggest amount of people in jail system in the world history if I'm not misinformed, much of it over minor drug possession. For personal use.

That stuff goes on your record, and follows a person.

I believe in many cases there is systemic removal of certain people from the voting rolls through drug policies, these people may be evil, but they are not all stupid.

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

A troll post on Goldman? Is that a joke? Do you realize, in the context of Occupy, who adbusters are?

Thats a post that is trying to create national momentum for an action.

Def not a troll post.

[-] 3 points by jrhirsch (4714) from Sun City, CA 11 years ago

Wall street crime, wealth inequality, money out of government, business and government collusion, have all disappeared from the discussion.

They've been replaced by a flood of prison related posts, partisan political cartoons, and assorted belly button lint.

Looks like we need to clean our own house before we tackle wall street again.

Its like a tabloid

[-] 1 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

Excellent point. I vote for the following topics:

• Wall st/bankster/corp corruption, prosecution (lack thereof), reform!

• Environment, No oil, no nukes, no fracking, no coalGreen tech, no corp water grab, etc.

• Debt: student debt, cr card debt, illegal foreclosures strikedebt,

• Taxes : Raise on the rich, cut for the working class.

• Labor: Union issues, employment crises, jobs pgms, min wage increase, al wage increases, sick pay, outsourcing. etc

• Healthcare: Implement public option/single payer.

• Occupy: State of the movement, suggestions for future.

• Political reform/recreation: Movetoamend/repeal CU, repeal electoral college, end gerrymandering, Direct democracy, etc

I'm sure I left some topics out, & maybe some of mine are not popular.

I would recommend utilizing the official Occupy "news article" threads whenever possible.

I would recommend NO personal issues, limited to no fluff of course.

And I would encourage action items be included as often as possible, Organize/join marches/protests, petitioning, letter writing, phonecalls, donating, & voting.

And there should be a means to express displeasure with a specific thread, with the idea of deleting it if warrented.

Perhaps if there are too few comments a thread can be appended to a similar post.

Just My humble opinion.

THIS is a valuable post.

Good luck Hope my suggestions were useful.

[-] 1 points by jrhirsch (4714) from Sun City, CA 11 years ago

Go to the forum search box. Type in

user:XXXXXX

The X's will be your user name. This will bring up a list of your posts. Are your posts on topic or have they drifted far from Occupy's original goal? Are you helping the cause or hindering it?

a forum search box?

Is my browser too old?

Have I been missing this all along?

Whoops it is there. Never even saw it.

Thanks...eyes getting bad or something

Click forum under donate

[-] 1 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 10 years ago

You can also type in other user names to see their contributions to the forum.

[Removed]

Yes, anybody can view them but show a limited amount of the most recent posts.

[Removed]

You could ask Jart the proper code to enter.

[Removed]

[Removed]

Archive goes all the way back, but it's a pain...

[Removed]

That would be a good thing I would like a simple comment count too just so people can see how active a person is, I like data, I keep a file on my posts just for quick reference.