Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: On Cancer and it's causes. An open letter. 7/30/2012

Posted 11 years ago on July 30, 2012, 5:17 p.m. EST by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

One of these days I am gonna get round to writing an open letter to every Cancer Group and Charity that I can find a contact e-mail address for and ask them ALL to get together and lobby the FDA - not only about cancer causing plastic food packaging but also about harmful Synthetic food and drink dyes that can cause cancer and other health issues ( dyes make things look pretty but cause major health problems they have no redeeming value whatsoever ) also have them lobby on the stopping of the use of hormones and steroids in our poultry & live stock as these things can also cause cancer and other health issues in people. Get them to go after the source/cause of many cancers while they also look for cures.

Stop the causes of cancer people.

And on that note I would also want ALL of the Cancer Groups and Charities to also lobby the EPA and the Government to end the use of Fossil Fuels = Coal Oil LNG as they all pollute our environment.

Coal - the mining process pollutes the Ground and Water as it also destroys wildlife areas. The pollution contains carcinogens.

The burning of coal releases CO into the atmosphere along with carbon particulates arsenic mercury and various other heavy metals/toxins & carcinogens. Even if the exhaust of burning the coal is cleaned-up we are still left with the toxic ash dumps.

OIL - The extraction/drilling process has a tendency to pollute the environment with toxic spills on land and on water releasing carcinogens into the ground/soil and water ground water and ocean water - this then can also get into the food chain.

The Burning of OIL as a power source and as a fuel ( including the byproduct gasoline ) releases CO into the atmosphere also along with carbon particulates.

LNG - the extraction process pollutes the ground water and the soil releasing carcinogens into our environment and into our food chain. It also pollutes our atmosphere as the process is quite sloppy and the gas gets blown into the atmosphere - this also causes explosion and fire hazards.

These pollutants and carcinogens released into our environment are unnecessary as we have other clean technology that we can implement to replace fossil fuel:

Spread the word.

Green Tech. New and improved - now with Liquid Metal Battery for efficient power storage and distribution.

This is where we should be going: Green Energy we have the technology we just need to use it. This is what I am talking about. A clean future to be implemented NOW!

http://www.hopewellproject.org/

http://ecat.com/

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/ff_new_nukes/all/1

FuelCell Energy http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/news/progress_alerts.cfm/pa_id=600

You have got to watch this vid: The liquid Metal Battery - another piece to the puzzle.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/donald_sadoway_the_missing_link_to_renewable_energy.html

Additional Liquid Metal Battery links.

http://lmbcorporation.com/

http://lmbcorporation.com/files/flyerFinal.pdf

BTW - Trains have electric engines - there are semis working in the ports that have electric engines - why couldn't a bulldozer ?

BTW : Other alternative fuels result in airplane performance penalties. For example, liquid hydrogen (LH2) not only presents very substantial airport infrastructure and airplane design issues, but because of the need for heavy fuel tanks, a short-range airplane would experience a 28 percent decrease in energy efficiency while on a 500-nautical-mile (nmi) mission. However, because airplanes need to carry much more fuel for a long range flight, and Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) fuel is quite lightweight the lighter takeoff weight of the airplane results in an energy efficiency loss of only 2 percent while on a 3,000-nm mission.

From: NASA: alternative fuels for aviation | Energy Bulletin

Support green energy technology - industry - jobs. Save our world save our economy.

Rework free trade agreements as they are currently detrimental to the Business, Employment, Economic and Environmental health of the USA and in extension the world.

Put an end to outsourcing for Profit over People and the environment.

Stop world wide corporate abuses of people and environments.

Besides finding cures for Cancer we need to find and stop the causes of cancer. Incidences of people contracting one form or another of cancer is skyrocketing - if we do not halt/stop the causes we may one day SOON see an incidence rate of 1in1 or even multiple cancers for 100% of the population throughout their ( our ) lifetimes.

Here is one petition I have found regarding plastic food packaging and containers:

From Change.org : On Cancer and the FDA.

There's a new petition taking off on Change.org, and we think you might be interested in signing it: Ask the FDA to ban cancer-causing chemicals in all of our food. Sign Susan's Petition

FDA: Get cancer-causing chemicals out of ALL food packaging now!

Started by: Susan, Portland, Oregon

The FDA just announced that baby bottles and sippy cups can no longer contain bisphenol A (BPA), a controversial hormone-disrupting chemical that studies show is linked with cancer, obesity, heart disease, and other life-threatening diseases.

This is a huge step towards getting dangerous chemicals out of our food supply. BPA isn't just found in baby products -- routine tests have found BPA in more than 80% of Americans' bodies. It's used in packaging food, lining cans for soups and sodas, and more.

Protecting my kids doesn't stop when they graduate from bottles and sippy cups. I am counting on the FDA to help regulate this dangerous chemical so the people I care about most in the world are safe -- no matter how old they are.

I know that together we can make a difference. Last year, I helped pass a ban on BPA in children's products in my own community in Oregon. Doctors, researchers, and medical experts testified about the risks of this chemical and the importance of keeping BPA out of our children's bodies. I was moved to tears by the hundreds of people who signed my Change.org petition in support of that campaign, and I hope this petition will make the FDA take notice, too.

Major brands have already begun distancing themselves from BPA due to consumer outrage. These companies have shown great leadership, but moving company by company and product by product is taking too long. BPA will continue to make people sick until it's out of our food supply for good. We need strong action from the FDA now to protect us, and our kids, from these dangerous chemicals.

Tell the FDA to ban BPA now.

Click here to sign Susan's petition, "FDA: Get cancer-causing chemicals out of ALL food packaging now!".

You can also check out other popular petitions on Change.org by clicking here.

11 Comments

11 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by richardkentgates (3269) 11 years ago

Our lifestyle is as much to blame. A microwave oven is common in almost every home, and cleaning chemicals, and batteries. We consume these goods. Either through usage or disposal, it all ends up in the environment. Some of the toxins we live with in the home and some are poisoning the ground we live on. Add to that, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, and even earthquakes that spread these things uncontrollably into our local communities. The topic of cancer and pollution is a much bigger conversation than just looking at the manufacturers and producers.

[-] -1 points by auargent (-600) 11 years ago

No matter what you do, how you live, you die. People die of various causes. People have dying from all types of cancers ever since there have been people.

[-] -1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

They are as good a places to start as any and much better then some. They are areas that are controlled and so should be easy to change ( easy as it gets anyway). Bottom line we need to stop the causes of cancer while we also look for cures.

[-] 2 points by richardkentgates (3269) 11 years ago

Need a project to merge toxic material awareness with shopping habits.

[-] -1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

That would not be a bad thing - but the best thing would be to remove the toxic packaging.

[-] 2 points by OccupyNews (1220) 11 years ago

I sometimes wonder if we could live without plastic. It has so many day to day applications that involve preventing waste spoilage and contamination.

[-] -2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

Ah but there are plastics and there are plastics - some plastics are said to be safe for use in packaging ( I have no personal knowledge of what types of plastics that these are ) - but there are plastics which are toxic and they are used to line the inside of cans the are used for food containers they are used for beverage containers. All in all I always liked glass. Remember the day of the deposit? Return your empties to the store and get your deposit back or credited onto your new purchase. Hell suppliers would pick up the empties after dropping off fresh product then return them to the producers for a cleaning and a refill.

[-] 2 points by OccupyNews (1220) 11 years ago

When I water my garden, I use two one gallon plastic jugs that have been built in handle. I was thinking the other day about whether or not I should use glass, but the thought of picking up broken glass about once a month did not appeal to me.

[-] 1 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

This is important and thorough. Great effort. Like petitions, letter writing has a proven track record, and a time tested value in pushing politicians to address the needs of the 99%.

To communicate is essential.

[-] 1 points by elf3 (4203) 11 years ago

The people are crying out for change but corporations have suddenly stopped listening to what they want - instead they are forcing what we stand up against down our throats even fighting against us in the courts and via seats on the FDA. When someone who is selling you a product suddenly says too bad this is what we're giving you - we would normally put them out of business - however you can't do then when a few companies own all the farms or food or grocery chains. They aren't doing what their consumers what they are telling them what they will get.
We've all seen the Ben and Jerry's label that the FDA demanded state that RBGH hormone has not been proven to cause problems. Yet they will not require those that make it to label that it has not been proven to be ok to eat... and in fact studies throughout Europe and Canada found it to cause cancer. Instead they punished the responsible company that gave the consumers something they asked for by making them label something. THe California fight to label GMO's is ridiculous and just tells you who is stacked on the FDA that the people had to take the fight to the ballot box rather than the companies accomodating the consumer. This is the beginning of our freedoms being lost if we lose these types of fights now just imagine down the line - all of this precedent is being set while they trample our freedom with billions of dollars to defeat the consumer. Think about that "To Defeat the wants of the Consumer" when in history could that be a marker of a free market? We need to disband these monopolies and Congress needs to overturn Citizens United vs Federal Elections Commission. We the people also need to command that the FDA is not the constitution and when it is seated with board members who are working on behalf of the companies they sat on boards in - we need to overthrow the FDA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5kHACjrdEY

Please watch The Future of Food

http://vimeo.com/38269476

[Removed]

[Removed]

[Removed]

[Deleted]

[Removed]

Re-Tweeted

On Cancer and it's causes. An open letter. 7/30/2012 http://occupywallst.org/forum/on-cancer-and-its-causes-an-open-letter-7302012/#.UQBLzjl5134.twitter A CALL TO NETWORK FOOD4THOUGHT pls Share/Circulate.

I will be collecting charity/health/environmental/social group E-Mail Contact Addresses to this POST. I may edit the contact letter to update it and express the wish that all of the groups listed will reach out to each other to make united common cause efforts to drum up support and push/campaign for proper legislation.