Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Occupy Wallstreet and the Albany movement(1961)

Posted 11 years ago on Sept. 6, 2012, 1:57 p.m. EST by SomeguyFromSomeplace (-1)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Occupy has(had?) a good thing going in the amount of attention that was gained but the lack of goals, demands and a clear path to them is holding you back. What should the goal be? That's not for me to decide but one firm, solid goal IS needed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany_movement research protest that worked, and ones that didn't. Occupy is history repeating.

Martin Luther King is a great role model for this movement. His situation at its core is the same as we are in now. The little guy fighting against the all powerful government. The Albany movement was a failure, just like occupy is now. But you can learn from it, just like MLK did. Sitting around in places you think they don't want you to be is useless, you have to do something real, something that will actually get there attention. For the civil rights moment it was the bus protest. The community of people that refused to ride any public buses thus taking money directly from the government is what finally got them somewhere. What is it for us? I'm not exactly sure yet and it probably wont be just one thing but maybe refusing to vote or a protest of the entire political system is a decent start but there needs to be much more.

In my opinion the most solvable(And huge) problem is the party line. if your a dem you have to agree with the dems, if your a rep you automatically agree with the reps and the purpose of being in office(to make the country better) is lost in all the bullshit. The silliness of that is maddening. We have to accept the fact that were not going to tear down the system completely right away but instead have to chip away at it making things just a little better then before and the first step in doing that is a third party, and then a fourth and then a fifth and a sixth and on and on until this party line shit becomes impossible because of the inevitable massive cross over in policy the many parties would have.

9 Comments

9 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

Why that's absolutely preposterous!!!

(again)

One does not fight apathy, with more apathy.

That's just absurd.

http://veracitystew.com/2012/09/06/moment-of-clarity-the-truth-about-voting-video/

[-] 2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

For a moment I thought that you were commenting to Eeyore.

[-] 1 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

You mean I'm not?

and here I thought...................I was.

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

Part of the fan club maybe? Wait do depressives have fan clubs?

[-] 1 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

They do have the stinkle team.....................:)

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

Ack...sure sure - what was I thinking - so - trashy take on a new persona already?

[-] 2 points by richardkentgates (3269) 11 years ago

There are people trying to work on other parties. Why do you not engage with those individuals, some of which are on here? For Occupy to pretend to speak for everyone would be just another polarization which is not the aim of Occupy.

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

Occupy has(had?) a good thing going in the amount of attention that was gained but the lack of goals, demands and a clear path to them is holding you back.

yes the republican and democratic need a platform

The little guy fighting against the all powerful government.

racism is in grained in the business of the society

[-] 0 points by SomeguyFromSomeplace (-1) 11 years ago

I am very disappointed by all the replies. Just a bunch of people rewording and repeating what they've heard other people say. I beg you people to think for yourselves and research and understand how real change happens by studying the ways they have changed in the past. Your not special, this time is not special and your cause is not special. Sitting around crying when cops pepper spray you and treat you roughly is not the way to change things. That is NOT my opinion that is historical fact.