Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: New teacher requirements for graduates of 2013- I propose a protest

Posted 12 years ago on Jan. 15, 2012, 1:33 p.m. EST by marlo (7)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Well, for all those who are planning on becoming teachers in NYS, where there is still a teacher hiring freeze in most areas, I have more good news for you. All of the graduates, starting with those who are graduating May 2013 will have to take a whole new set of exams and submit a portfolio and a video to be reviewed by the wonderful and efficient people of the Department of Education. If you have already taken the current exams, like I have, you will probably need to pay again and retake the new ones. I find this new policy to be very unfair to those of us who have almost graduated and who have already taken and passed the current exams. They should have done these changes for the graduates of 2015 to give people enough time to see if they really want to certify in NY where there are no jobs anyway. I propose a student protest and a student teacher walkout. I don't think these should keep screwing with students who are trying to better themselves and better this world. Teachers are the scapegoats of the politicians and we should stand for it no more.

7 Comments

7 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by Thrive (29) 12 years ago

There's a beautiful woman, Charlotte Iserbyt, that I'd like you to meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D08F_STZOZM

[-] 1 points by ShubeLMorgan2 (1088) from New York, NY 12 years ago

People like Bloomberg have absolutely no concept of the life of a teacher and don't even think it's something they need to know. Absolutely no respect whatever.

[-] 3 points by marlo (7) 12 years ago

It's true, but the non-teachers are making the rules up for the teachers, and for the soon to be teachers. It's sad! My mom taught for over 35 years and when she was a teacher there was still some respect for the profession, but not now. Now, it is our fault for everything. It's not the parents fault, or the schools fault, or the problem of school funding or overcrowded classrooms, but all about the (horrible) teachers. We need a way to stand up!

[-] 3 points by ShubeLMorgan2 (1088) from New York, NY 12 years ago

My daughter is a teacher and I fully sympathize. She works very hard, takes work home, spends her own money for the classroom supplies etc. She was an honors graduate from Barnard. Frankly I had hoped she would choose another profession but she really wanted to help children learn.

[-] 1 points by Quark (236) 12 years ago

How upsetting. Makes me want to grab a pitch fork and flex my muscle. It is hard to be a pacifist when blood is the only way to fix these problems. Are we really going to be able to take food out of the wolves mouth without the bite or biting back?

[-] 1 points by marlo (7) 12 years ago

I don't know, but I think we should try. Those in power think that people are disposable and they can do whatever they want with us. Are they going to refund all of the people who already took and passed the exams or just make us pay again and take them over? Also, who will be watching all of those videos? The Office of Teaching Initiatives can't even get our paperwork done on time as it is, and now we are adding extra components. I sent them something 8 months ago and it still didn't get added to my account.

[-] 1 points by Quark (236) 12 years ago

I watched my mother in law bullied in New Jersey when the cost of living pension was ripped out of her retirement pension. She had no fight in her to do anything about it. She accepted it with a wimper and a raised eyebrow. I on the other hand am full of piss and vinegar. When I am about to turn 80 I am going to pull a Maude from the movie Harold & Maude. I may do it sooner.

[Removed]