Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: NBC issues apology for edited Zimmerman 911 call.......

Posted 11 years ago on April 4, 2012, 3:27 a.m. EST by F350 (-259)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

NBC News issued an apology Tuesday for the way it handled the broadcasting of the 911 conversation between George Zimmerman and a police dispatcher in the Trayvon Martin case. Following reports that NBC aired audio of the call was edited in a way that implied Zimmerman was racist, the network launched an internal investigation.

"During our investigation it became evident that there was an error made in the production process that we deeply regret. We will be taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future and apologize to our viewers," the network said in a statement cited by The Washington Post. Zimmerman, a volunteer neighborhood watch leader, admits shooting and killing Martin one night in February, but he has said the shooting was in self-defense and justified under the state's "Stand Your Ground" law. He also said Martin attacked him, but that and other details of the case remain in question, as authorities continue to investigate whether to charge Zimmerman. NBC's "Today" show ran the edited audio of Zimmerman's phone call to a police dispatcher, seeming to show Zimmerman saying, "This guy looks like he's up to no good … he looks black." A transcript of the complete 911 call shows that Zimmerman said, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about." The 911 officer responded saying, "OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?" "He looks black," Zimmerman said. The abridged conversation between Zimmerman and the dispatcher that NBC ran on March 27 has been blasted by media watchdog groups as misleading. Critics have said the edited version was made to suggest that Zimmerman targeted Martin because he was black -- an accusation by many that is still under investigation. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/03/nbc-issues-apology-edited-zimmerman-11-call/#ixzz1r3Myzf5R

How many more lies from the Left will be uncovered in its mad dash to vigilante justice and the lynching of Zimmerman?

24 Comments

24 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by JPB950 (2254) 11 years ago

NBC told the truth, just not the whole truth. They told just only as much of it as they had to in order to get the outcome they desired. Unfortunately ABC's video and NBC's attempt to make sure things look racist are going to assist the defense rather then help uncover the truth.

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by gestopomillyy (1695) 11 years ago

what does that matter. it shows that z was stalking the guy. proving that he got out of his car and accosted a man for no reason.. then shot the guy when the guy defended himself. how is that lynching anyone?

[Removed]

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by foreeverLeft (-264) 11 years ago

A video editor with 30 years experience said there is simply no way an 'error' was made. With a good lawyer Zimmerman is going to own NBC. :)

[-] 1 points by Recycleman (102) 11 years ago

Everyone is so brainwashed by the news.

When will we be able to wait until we here the truth from the news shows. They use actual new to produce a product that will generate profits with no regard to actual events.

As in the case with George. He was watching his home to protect from additional invaders. As he and many others still do in his neighborhood since he is away. As he protected himself and others he confronted a questionable unknown person that appeared to be an adult. Due to the natural size difference George being the smaller he called for backup 911. As per conversations that were misinterpreted by the press he first watched then George was confronted. Confrontation turned to hostility against him and he was now trying to defend himself from a larger force. In what was reported he shot Treyvon in self defense.

That is how the news should have been told. Now lets talk about OWS

[-] 0 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

FLAKESnews??? Really?

So I already know the story is ......embellished.

Where is the story on the MANY lies FLAKES tells?

Why would anyone in the correct state of mind, still post stuff from FLAKESnews?

Oh well, until another source shows up, this one goes in to the loony bin.

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by Concerned (455) 11 years ago

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trayvon-martin-nbc-edited-911-call-george-zimmerman-306574

The "Today" show version made shooter George Zimmerman appear to be engaged in racial profiling.

NBC News said Saturday it is investigating why its Today show broadcast an edited version of the 911 call placed by George Zimmerman the night he shot and killed Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

Trayvon Martin shooting: NBC News apologizes for airing edited version of 911 call placed by George Zimmerman Full audio paints different picture of exchange between neighborhood watch volunteer, operator Comments (90) By David Boroff / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 11:22 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trayvon-martin-shooting-nbc-apologizes-airing-edited-version-911-call-george-zimmerman-article-1.1055599#ixzz1r57X1qnQ

[-] -1 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

OOOoooh You found FLAKESnews lite.

Would you like me to provide links to all the lies FLAKESnews has told?

All the altered sound bytes and edited videos?

You should be praising NBC for it's candor and honesty.

You should also be cursing FLAKES for the MANY lies they've told over the years, and still are "right" now.

[-] 1 points by Concerned (455) 11 years ago

shooz, once again...IF you would only do some of your own research, you would have seen in under 10 minutes that this was a broadly reported circumstance....and that despite the fact that it was Sean Hannity who actually first pointed out the difference between the official 911 tapes and the NBC version.....you need to get this story out of your "loony bin".

But, here you go...here is the Washington Post (which has been known for its liberal slant for decades) blogging on the issue.........

March 31 2012 The Washington Post blog reported:

NBC told this blog today that it would investigate its handling of a piece on the “Today” show that ham-handedly abridged the conversation between George Zimmerman and a dispatcher in the moments before the death of Trayvon Martin. A statement from NBC:

“We have launched an internal investigation into the editorial process surrounding this particular story.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/nbc-to-do-internal-investigation-on-zimmerman-segment/2012/03/31/gIQAc4HhnS_blog.html?hpid=z4

They followed it up on 4/3/2012 with this:

NBC issues apology on Zimmerman tape screw-up

NBC has completed its investigation into the mishandling of the police dispatcher’s conversation with George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin case. And the process ends with a finding of error, plus an apology. Here is the statement just issued by the network:

During our investigation it became evident that there was an error made in the production process that we deeply regret. We will be taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future and apologize to our viewers.

www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/nbc-issues

Huffington Post wrote on 4/2/2012

"During our investigation it became evident that there was an error made in the production process that we deeply regret," NBC News representative Lauren Kapp said in a statement on Tuesday, in response to a query by Reuters. "We will be taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future and apologize to our viewers." NBC News has launched an internal investigation into a story that ran on the "Today" show about the killing of Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin.

And followed it up on 4/3/2012

NBC News Admits 'Error' In Editing Of George Zimmerman 911 Call [Apr 3, 2012] NBC News is admitting that it made an "error" editing a recording of George Zimmerman's 911 call moments before he shot Trayvon Martin. www.huffingtonpost.com/.../03/nbc...911-call_n_1401167.html

Now, are you still in denial that NBC edited the 911 tape?

Now, would you please post the same kind info for FLAKESnews and Limbaugh?

Let's see if you can do real research, beyond copy and paste from Drudge, or Heritage.

PS: I don't watch TV news anyway.

[-] 1 points by Concerned (455) 11 years ago

LMAO. You can't ever stop can you? You wrote: "Oh well, until another source shows up, this one goes in to the loony bin."

You were provided two other sources....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trayvon-martin-nbc-edited-911-call-george-zimmerman-306574

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trayvon-martin-shooting-nbc-apologizes-airing-edited-version-911-call-george-zimmerman-article-1.1055599#ixzz1r57X1qnQ

To which your response was "OOOoooh You found FLAKESnews lite."

Then you were provided links to the Huffington Post and the Washington Post (which broke the news of the investigation in the first place) - two sources which could hardly be called "conservative".

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../03/nbc...911-call_n_1401167.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/nbc-to-do-internal-investigation-on-zimmerman-segment/2012/03/31/gIQAc4HhnS_blog.html?hpid=z4

And still - instead of accepting the fact that the story is in fact true and removing it from your "loony bin" - you accuse me of copying and pasting from sources I did not use (a lie then told by you who continually accuses others of lying?).

Followed by a distraction asking me to - once again do your research for you - into Limbaugh and "FLAKESnews....

How about this? How about for once you do some research to back up your opinion that everything that does not come from a left leaning source is a lie? Prove to to me that you actually do know how to think for yourself and not just blindly accept anything the left does and says?

It's your extremely one sided ability to investigate and narrow choice of what to investigate that's bothersome.

It could be, they are just trying to keep up with FLAKES anyway.

I don't watch the stuff anyway, so I don't care what NBC says.

You're the one harping on a single NBC manipulation, while ignoring the plethora of similar things FLAKESnews has done.

Let alone the notorious lies of Limbaugh.

I'm led to believe NBC at least admitted and apologized, for their mistake.

The others? Not at all.

[-] 0 points by Concerned (455) 11 years ago

LOL.

Again, you want me research Limbaugh and Fox News for you - but you have not formulated a research question. What exactly is it you want researched? Your "opinion" of them? Or a specific story they have reported? Which "lie" would you like investigated?

If you don't "watch the stuff anyway", then on what are you basing your opinions? Other peoples opinions?

In case you are unable to follow this thread without help - the original poster shared the story that was circulating the news organizations. You put it in your "loony bin" because the OP used Fox News. I supplied you with additional sources since you were unwilling or unable to search those confirming sources on your own and when those sources weren't enough for you to take in, provided with you with two additional sources....Since this thread was about the NBC story which you were questioning - then doesn't it follow that any research I undertook would be on that story?

Or is that too difficult for you to take in?

[-] 1 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

I want you research FLAKESnews and Limbaugh for YOU.

I already know what liars they are.

Is that so hard to understand?

[-] -1 points by Concerned (455) 11 years ago

Really? You know this how?

You say you don't watch any of the news programs. So on what do you base your opinion that they are Liars or Truth Tellers?

The only answer then (unless you are lying when you say that you don't watch "the stuff" anyway) is that you base your opinion on the opinion of others without researching the truth for yourself. And you do know what they say about opinions right?

I'll remind you that your "opinion" was that because the OP posted a report by Fox News that it was worthy only of filing in the "loony bin" was soon shown to be inaccurate by the links provided to four other sources - two conservative and two liberal.

An wise person would realize that they might need to do some follow up research on their own before they loudly voice an opinion that something is untrue, embellished, or worthy of the "loony bin".......instead of relying on the opinion of others.....some refer to the tendency to blindly accept another persons opinion as the truth as being sheep like....

Just saying.

[-] 2 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

You still refuse to do the research!!!!!

I'm just sayin'.

You are ill informed.

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by Concerned (455) 11 years ago

LOL..

Formulate a real research question shooz ...

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by GypsyKing (8708) 11 years ago

Just like Dan Rather was forced into an appolgy for telling the truth. Ya, we getcha!

[-] 1 points by JPB950 (2254) 11 years ago

It may have been the truth, but with only a forged document as evidence it wasn't something he could back up.

[-] -1 points by GypsyKing (8708) 11 years ago

How about the fact that there was no remaining record? If the document was forged it was only in the sense of replacing a document that no longer existed. How many guys military record just disappears

No remaining document because the original was destroyed or because it never existed? Once the producer admits she accepted a forged document what credibility does she have to claim it represents anything truthful? If your going to be a journalist you can't make up things because you think they are true, you have to be able to actually prove them.

[-] 1 points by GypsyKing (8708) 11 years ago

We all know he was a draft doger and a deserter from the National Guard. I don't care how they tried to cover it up.

[-] 2 points by JPB950 (2254) 11 years ago

Then the producer was a fool to use a fake document. She ended up helping reelect Bush by making him look the victim. When I get news I prefer documented facts.Editorials and opinions should be identified as such. This Martin case is another example of media jumping to a conclusion, mudding the waters, and possibly creating an outcome that is the opposite of what they wanted.

Zimmerman used bad judgement and someone died. The moment he got out of his car and confronted the boy he created a deadly situation. Right now that should be the focus of the investigation. Not some foolish bit of editing to try to make him look racist. By the time this gets to trial NBC's edited 911 call and ABC's video (which they have now been forced to admit does show some injury) will have created sympathy for Zimmerman. He's responsible for killing someone and the media are inadvertently turning him into the victim.

[-] 1 points by GypsyKing (8708) 11 years ago

You are right here. But I have never seen anyone (and I am reffering to the Bush family here) powerful enough to get a military record erased. CBS should not knowingly have used a fake document, if that is what they did, but why were his military records not there in the first place? I find that just one of the uncounted really scary things about that administration. Furthermore, I haven't seen a journalist yet fired for the endless stream of lies and distortions about Obama. They make a career out of it.

You're right also - if NBC doctored video in the Trayvon Martin case. But I do not see their motive for doing so.

PS Whenever Fox News is sited to back anything, it just discredits the poster.

It seems all the media play the same game, pander to emotions and make a story fit a preconceived set of beliefs. CNN has reexamined their enhanced audio and now isn't sure if Zimmerman used a racial slur or not. I don't know what their motives are, it's been suggested that they are pushing the idea that this is a racial matter to encourage Federal involvement.