Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: In the 2012 elections are you for: Obama, Ron Paul, the Republican nominee, Someone else, or None of the above?

Posted 12 years ago on Oct. 12, 2011, 6:56 p.m. EST by JohnnySuburban (88)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Let's see how united and divided OWS is and gauge on where ppl stand.

In the coming 2012 elections, if you don't vote, your voice is meaningless and your gripes are useless...so who will you choose as the next President of the U.S.?

1) Obama 2) Ron Paul 3) The Republican nominee (which won't be Ron Paul and we all know this) 4) A Third Party (yes, there are in fact many other ppl running) 5) Refuse to vote 6) Can't vote because you're not even an American

14 Comments

14 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by sandhill (5) 12 years ago

And how does voting change a system that continues to do the business of the 1%? Especially when the selection process for candidates is rigged in weeding out any rabble who would actually represent people, not corporations. Just to run requires hugh amounts of money that traditionally comes from the corps. Public financing needs to trump the corporate free speech as decided by a corrupt supreme court decision in Citizens United. The whole election system as well as the Constitution has to be reconfigured, reframed and rebuilt to represent people, not property.

[-] 1 points by JohnnySuburban (88) 12 years ago

and how do you propose doing that?

Remember you have to convince 150+ million Americans that the Constitution should be changed and that voting doesn't work.

You will sit home and not vote in 2012...other people WILL vote.

And their elected officials will be the ones in charge of Govt.

What will you do then?

[-] 2 points by looselyhuman (3117) 12 years ago

How about we don't take the bait this time people?

[-] 0 points by JohnnySuburban (88) 12 years ago

friend, you can continue to promote the false belief that OWS is above the political system, but eventually it will either have to participate in the political process or be useless.

[-] 2 points by looselyhuman (3117) 12 years ago

I plan to vote for whom I plan to vote, but guess I don't see why it needs to divide a movement trying to identify and crystallize behind a limited set of transpartisan goals.

[-] -1 points by JohnnySuburban (88) 12 years ago

Simple:

Because one side of OWS are Obama supporters Another side of OWS are Ron Paul supporters And the rest on the fringe are Anarchists and Communists.

Because of this, OWS will never be able to agree on any solution to the problems.

why does OWS continue to deny this fact?

[-] 1 points by sandhill (5) 12 years ago

This is not an how do I do it? It's a how do we do it? There is no panacea, no right way but there are indicators of how it has been accomplished in the past that may help us determine an appropriate way. A man named Wheeler organized the Anti Prohibition League(interesting Ken Burns program on PBS documented this) and by exclusively organizing communities against alcohol was able with allied groups to drive into law the 18th Amendment. he didn't court the politicians and ask them what they were offering him . He courted the citizens and helped grow a movement of folks who then told the politicians that they should get on board or lose their jobs. Several refused and they were dis-elected. Not long after, politicians, even those who continued to drink got on board the Prohibition bandwagon. Now I'm not suggesting by this example that I agree with prohibition. It was a total bust. But the tactics and strategies are something from which we can learn

I'm suggesting that with the corporate personhood issue, where corporations use our civil rights to get what they want, because they are the largest bullies on the legal block; they are legally "persons" under the law WE educate our neighbors and friends to"see" through the cultural illusion of Democracy and "everything's goin to be alright". That we challenge the rights of Corporations to be people, that we demand a constitutional amendment to make that not so. This appears to be a time in which that may be possible. One possibility. In short all of us need to think out side the cultural boxes we've been assigned. We can't survive as a species unless we do! may you be a good earthling to be a part of that change. Oh and BTW I won't be sitting home on election day.

[-] 1 points by gawdoftruth (3698) from Santa Barbara, CA 12 years ago

none of the above. we need a new third party.

[-] 1 points by oceanweed (521) 12 years ago

tax cuts for middle class modernize roads and bridges invest in middle class not banking class by raising minimum wage thats the occupy wall street message obama

[-] 1 points by genanmer (822) 12 years ago

Jacque Fresco ;)

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

Third Party

[-] 1 points by JohnnySuburban (88) 12 years ago

If you are not going to vote, your voice, your gripes and your demands are meaningless.

[-] 0 points by Lefty (16) 12 years ago

Herman Cain only.