Forum Post: How do you Prevent Government Employees from becoming Corrupted over a 30-40 year career?
Posted 3 months ago on Feb. 14, 2013, 4:54 p.m. EST by Middleaged
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
I believe you have to make sure that empoyees are trained to:
1) Respect and Defend the US Constitution
2) Resist Conflict of Interests
3) Defend Against the Influence of Money
4) Defend Against Networking like the Old Boy Network (This is probably the hardest to prove and defend against)
5) Teach & Warm about the dangers of Relationships of Government Employees & Contacts in Industry
Of course in the real world a Congressman gets caught breaking the law and the result is more training and guidance put out to the whole federal workforce. It could be receiving gifts, receiving lobby money, or misuse of campaign funds ... the end result is not a change in behavior for congressmen.
The Federal Government has a "No Fear" program to protect federal employees who become Whistleblowers. Just visit the DOJ website. How do you think that program is working so far?
There are many Dangers of Relationships of Government Employees & Contacts in Industry. This is called getting in bed together. Employees treat industry representatives very nice and very well within the current ethics guidelines. But behind the nice behavior the employee would like to get a promotion and a new Job with one of the Government Suppliers or in the Industry he works with.
Conflict of Interest
Regulatory Capture (see William K. Black)
Criminogenic Environment (see William K. Black)
Revolving Door with Industry, moving from government job to career with Industry previously being regulated, or as in banking - moving from the bank to the Department of Treasury, Federal Reserve Branch, or the Board of Governors Federal Reserve
1) Get money out of Politics, provide free national, state, and county air time on Radio, TV, Cable for candidates in all elections, free air time, free access to political debates, open agenda for debates
2) Break Up TBTF Companies, Large telecoms, Large Media, Large Oil, Large banks, Large Insurance, Large everything by market share, international market share, or total capitalization
3) Life time employment for Government Employees to keep them from falling under the hypnotic power of Industry and industry jobs.
4) Back Federal Lawsuits with Large Court Funds or the Entire US Treasury to go after Large Banks which have the power to fight in court for 10 years, be willing to go to court rather than settle for a fine for money laundering or fraud, or rate setting, or accounting fraud, etc.
5) Strengthen Independent Media/Press, so that they will investigate the government, government deals, and corporations.
6) Stregthen Independent Audit Agencies, mandatory rotation of agencies, rotation of representatives every year or two
7) Strengthen US ratings Agencies for financial stregth & fitness of our corporations, don't let them be paid by the corporations they are rating,
8) Eliminate Shell Companies, stricter guidance for corporations and the accounting rules
9) Regulate the Shadow Banking Sector known as Private Bankings and Regulate Derivatives
10) Prohibit Bankers from working at the Federal Reserve or at the US Treasury, prohibit bankers from working in the exectuve branch of the federal government.
11) Start Real Investigations of War and Federal Government
12) Start Real Investigations and national discussions about the influence of money on Economist, universities, and other institutions.