Posted 3 months ago on July 1, 2014, 11:50 a.m. EST by quantumystic
from Memphis, TN
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
There are a lot of things we need to do to fix America and to create a better culture and society, and perhaps that is why a coherent message from occupy wall st. never really emerged and thus solutions to the problems we face.
First you have to identify the problems. We have a political system that is ineffective and unresponsive, an economic system that is teetering on the edge of complete collapse and that destroys wealth instead of creating it, we have an aging infrastructure that is reducing productivity, and finally we have an environment that is being destroyed by the prodution of energy and the extraction of resources/manufacturing of goods and is on the verge of an irreversable tipping point. Can we all agree these 4 main problems are the base for virtually all of Americas problems and in fact the whole worlds problems?
I have a ten proposals off the top of my head to create a better America though obviously it will take these actions and many more to restore balance to all systems:
1) Legalize marijuana and hemp and psychedelics/natural medicines.
2) De-privatize the commons and vital institutions.
3) End unsustainable development, manufacturing, and production practices.
4) Rehabilitate and enhance degraded lands, wetlands, and water ways.
5) Retrofit existing infrastructure and buildings using sustainable and people/environmentally friendly techniques and practices where it is cost efficient and practical where it is not replace with new sustainable technologies.
6) Break up monopolies and too big to jail/fail and end the laws and regulations that prevent an opensource economy from innovating new products, technology, design, and practices/techniques.
7) Create options for free higher education/job training and overhaul the entire education system using new technologies, employing student specific learning plans, etc.
8) Create options for free health care and overhaul the system with an emphais on a preventative holistic approach to medicine, disease, and healing.
9) Engage in the creation of mass green public works and infrastructure projects.
10) Create laws ensuring a living wage so people can afford decent housing, clothing, and goods; as well as ensuring a minimum of two weeks paid vacation and a 32 hour/4 day work week.
I will come back later and list additional ideas and exactly what kind of actions should be taken under each concept, the positive effects each one will have, and how each idea will contribute to turning things around. Please post any additional ideas you have or thoughts. Please post any flaws you think each idea has and i will address these specifically. I want this thread to be a place for debate and for the flushing out ideas and concepts that could be central to the foundational platform for a revolutionary coalition that enacts change.