Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Fracking NewYork - update 5/8/2013

Posted 10 years ago on May 8, 2013, 4:46 p.m. EST by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

In compliment - stand against fracking - protect our ground water - protect our world:

Central New York is chock full of stunning countryside: green, rolling hills, dramatic gorges, and, of course, the five Finger Lakes. Unfortunately, It's also home to underground natural gas reserves, which the fracking industry is currently pursuing.

The Missouri-based plant Inergy is determined to build a hydrofracking plant on Seneca Lake's west bank. Despite protests from environmentalists, including esteemed Ithaca College professor Sandra Steingraber, they've begun construction on a plant that will draw heavy industry to the pristine site.

According to local activists, the plant will be equipped to handle 24 propane tanker cars every 12 hours, seven days a week. Four 700-horsepower compressors would be built, and two open brine ponds would be placed on a hillside above Seneca Lake.

All that doesn't even encompass the kind of fracking-related fires, explosions, and sinkholes that have made the news in recent years. Just one brine pond accident could pollute the lake, which supplies drinking water to 100,000 people.

We can't stand by and watch as Central New York's gorgeous landscape is ruined by heavy industry. Stand against fracking in the Seneca Lake region!

care2

Thank you for taking action,

Kathleen Care2 and ThePetitionSite Team

Personalize your response.

What I added:

Destroying our environment our world for profit ( export profit at that ) is an example that - GREED IS THE #1 CAUSE OF DISEASE/DEATH/DESTRUCTION IN THE WORLD.

Government support is at best - Depraved Indifference to the poisoning of the planet and the people.

A term you need to know = Democide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

People/environment/life "OVER" profits - Not the other way around.

19 Comments

19 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 0 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 10 years ago

Seneca Lake is gorgeous. I lived right off Canandaigua Lake for a little while.

If this goes through, it will be an absolute tragedy.

I cannot believe that after all this combustion engine oil bullshit for decades, that they are now doing this as an alternative.

This is absolutely disgusting.

[+] -7 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

Destroying our environment our world for profit ( export profit at that ) is an example that - GREED IS THE #1 CAUSE OF DISEASE/DEATH/DESTRUCTION IN THE WORLD.

[-] -2 points by freemarket5555 (-182) 10 years ago

Right now there is no alternative to the internal combustion engine.

Off shoring for methyl hydrate is a hope.

[+] -5 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

Electric.

See how easy that was?

[-] 0 points by freemarket5555 (-182) 10 years ago

Electrics aren't close to cost efficient. And what do you do with spent batteries?

[-] 0 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 10 years ago

Convert to hydrogen.

[-] 1 points by freemarket5555 (-182) 10 years ago

Like a hydrogen fuel cell? Where do we get hydrogen?

[+] -6 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

From the environment - hydrogen = plentiful abundant.

I have heard that hydrogen is very hard to transport in a useable form. Liquid hydrogen is explosive and piping it is extremely dangerous.

[+] -6 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

But it is done and on large scale - the thing would be to implement proper as well as redundant safety precautions.

Ever hear of a rocket just exploding while just sitting on the pad? Not launching just sitting. Or the storage tanks that fuel those rockets?

Actually I did some reading. Based on what I read, it's seems VERY promising.

For every mode of transportation - Road, Rail, Air, Water. Could be applied to heating and cooling as well and the generation of electricity.

Hope is shows up before I die, lol.

[-] 0 points by redandbluestripedpill (333) 10 years ago

Hearst pub's (pop sci & mech)said in 1982 that we would have fuels cells by 1994. We still don't have affordable high capacity fuel cells. Science is highjacked or runaway. A decent hydride hasn't even been developed to increase safety, not that I worry. Gasoline is probably worse.

Conservation is what we have to do, and energy industries do not promote that meaningfully.

I wonder if it would matter to people, or help them to make the needed sacrifices (even to talk about it); if they knew that the ability to make those sacrifices en-masse is the difference between evolution and extinction.

Electrics aren't close to cost efficient.

Bullshit.

And what do you do with spent batteries?

Recycle and continue to improve them.

If they are close to cost even, why are so many E cars going under?

[-] -3 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

Lack of marketing? Lack of infrastructure? Fossil Fuel campaigns?

At one point in time it was said by many that the car would never replace the horse as the main means of transport.

[+] -4 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

Personalize your response.

What I added:

Government support is at best - Depraved Indifference to the poisoning of the planet and the people.

A term you need to know = Democide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

People/environment/life "OVER" profits - Not the other way around.

America has enough renewable energy potential to power every home, business and car in the United States, without creating any pollution. But Big Oil companies aren't going to let that happen easily. After all, they make billions by keeping us dependent on their dirty, expensive fuel. And this year, they've been pushing dozens of states to abandon clean energy, and instead spend billions of extra dollars on polluting fossil fuels.*

Usually, Big Oil convinces politicians to vote against clean energy by saying that oil and coal are better for jobs and the economy. But fortunately, some elected officials are waking up to the fact that clean energy is good for the economy AND the planet.

NC-open_green.pngJust last week, a Republican-controlled legislative committee in North Carolina defied the polluters and re-committed to get at least 12.5 percent of it's electricity from clean energy and efficiency programs by 2021. And the committee chair needed only one good reason: Renewable Energy Standards had created hundreds of jobs in his district.**

Kansas and Arizona already rejected similar proposals, for the same reason — clean energy is good for the economy. However, there are more than a dozen states still debating proposals to ditch their Renewable Energy Standards. Sign here to tell the lawmakers in those states keep Big Oil's dirty hands off our clean energy future by maintaining their commitment to renewable energy sources like solar and wind power.

The North Carolina, Arizona and Kansas bills, like those in the other states, were written by the American Legal Exchange Council, the lobbying front group for the Koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry. They need to keep America addicted to oil, coal and natural gas so they can keep raking in billions of dollars in profits — and they don't care if they destroy the planet in the process.

North Carolina, thanks to its previous commitment to green energy, is the nation’s fifth-largest developer of solar power. After the vote to defeat ALEC's proposal, Rep. Tim Moore, who chairs the powerful House Rules Committee, said, “I would have had a difficult time talking to a CEO who just brought 300 jobs to Cleveland County [and telling him] that I’m going to vote to eliminate this program that justified their investment.”

Please sign our petition today, so we can ensure the remaining states still considering ALEC's proposals choose the clean energy future our planet needs instead of the dirty energy past Big Oil profits from.

Thank you for support clean energy,

Drew Hudson Environmental Action, Director

* Colin Whitworth, Big Oil Wants to Repeal Clean Energy Standards, Environmental Action, March 13, 2013

** Colin Whitworth, Green Energy Wins in NC as Jobs Trump Politics, Environmental Action, May 6, 2013

TWEET

DKAtoday ‏@DKAtoday

Tell #BigOil & their #Koch Brothers to keep dirty hands off your state's #cleanenergy! http://bit.ly/HandsOffEnergy #AlecExposed via @enviroaction Expand