Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Executive pay is up 5 times since 1980—average worker pay stayed the same

Posted 12 years ago on Oct. 8, 2011, 3:45 p.m. EST by zowhatian (31)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

"Executive pay is now about five times higher than it was in 1980, adjusted for inflation. The average salary for the rank-and-file American worker, however, is about the same as it was in 1980. Really? Does American exceptionalism exist only at the top 1% of our workforce? Did our CEOs really get 5 times better than they were in 1980 and our workers remain just ho-hum average? I don't think so. Neither does the rest of America. When there is this kind of disparity while these same CEOs are paying taxes at a rate lower than their secretaries, their receptionists, and the people who clean their offices, it is personal."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/08/opinion/cardona-why-occupy/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

3 Comments

3 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by L0tech (79) 12 years ago

The reality is even worse. In the last 4 years, pay has dropped insidiously due to fewer workers doing more for the same salary pay.

[-] 1 points by tigerlily (6) 12 years ago

I agree! I understand that those who create jobs are the ones who invest money and take the risks. I understand that they deserve to make good money on their investment. What I DON'T understand is why they have to make SO MUCH money, while paying their workers the lowest possible wage. Why do the top executives have to make MILLIONS, when their employees can't afford health insurance? That is the true problem here--greed. If we didn't have child labor laws, and minimum wage laws, it would be even worse!

[-] 1 points by Slam1263 (196) 12 years ago

And our "leaders" have split with the donations.

5 hours, and no response. Show us the money!!