Forum Post: Central Question Does the Constitution Address Influence on Government, Lobbying, Conflict of Interest, Worker Rights?
Posted 2 years ago on Jan. 17, 2013, 7:37 a.m. EST by Middleaged
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
Memes probably interplay with higher truth or better truth. I'm just reflecting that some memes could be Rhetoric from what little I know about memes and the dielectic method. We all want the highest and best truth or best good.
Perhaps I am pointing out it might be easier if we all had a basis or a single platform from which we rise or root to. The obvious one is the constitution which with amendments now seems to privide civil rights, individual rights, balances of power, checks on power... Unfortunely there isn't clear basis on worker rights, limits on corporate power, limits on lobbying, gift giving, or campaign contributions, ... and congress has forgetten everything it knows about conflct of interest and anti-trust law.
I might posit that the constitution does provide both intension and limits on conflict of interest. These could be the basis for a fight against the influence in Washington DC.
I might also speculate that another Ammendment to the Constitution is needed to allow workers to organize, to limit corporate Lobbying, to limit the size of US corporations, to break up TBTF banks or any other corporate or organizational entity which puts small US Businesses at risk, corrupts the system with too much power and influence, corrpts congress, corrupts the fedeal budget, federal treasury, banking operations, and creates relationships with any official central bank. As well as an Amendement which addresses relationships and influences on congress that tends to distort information, media, and official statements in that the Public depends on Information Access, Truth, good representation in accordance with the spirit of the FOI Act, Freedom of Information Act.
Or perhaps another Platform or Basis for Government and Citizen Support for the Government Exists?
1) Maybe we should be joined as a Nation under the works of Martin Luther King, Civil Rights, and ... the common study of the work of Martin Luther King. A) Look at Bullying in the US B) Look at global rise of Neo-Nazis C) Look at the poor state of education which CLEARLY ...produces thugs, produces cheats, produces a system with the largest incarceration rate in the world, and produces a low literacy rate D) Martin Luther King was a well educated man, an intelligent man, who spoke at a level equal to the founding fathers of the USA - therefore, we would do well to establish a value for education, philosophy, history in the same spirit as MLK.
2) A Law Platform based NOT on career advancement based on convictions, political aspirations, competion within the capitalist system that rewards throwing the book at every citizens like Aaron Swartz, REDDIT. What would that look like?
3) A Political Platform based NOT on Lobbying, gift giving, Camapign contributions, favors for those that can offer us promotions, new jobs, investment opportunities, careers in private industry for government regulators, ... Oh and how about a law system and income tax system that can be understood by a 6th grade boy, reader friendly, ... Can a Supreme Court be legitimate to the citizens of a country if it makes decisions regarding eminent domain or corporate peoplehood that seem to benefit big business and throw aside individual rights.
The only changes that will Unite the people of the USA will have to include social programs like our current social safety nets of unemployment insurance, medciare, and social security which are all funded through payroll deductions at this point and which are very strongly funded and have strong revenue
4) We could unite under a platform that holds social programs has the highest value of US Citizens, ... but Socialism has a bad connotation in the USA. Perhaps if the basis for social platform was the above Trust programs which are funded through payroll deductions it would be palatable. Also everyone would have to realize that businesses get many dollars through government subsidies, over 3000 subsidies at the federal level possibly. Subsidies are not just social programs or health programs ... we also have to talk about tax loopholes for businesses and tax abatements for business. The social platform is simply a commitment to education K-12, available loans for college, basic health care, and social security.
5) Platform based on people voting on Tax Give-Aways within states on each special exemption to be granted to individual businesses. Large corporations & Manufactures negotiate with politicians for Tax Abatements over 5-10 years periods. Public-Private Partnerships are negotiated with politicians which risk millions of dollars of investment and liability for the scheme. The communities around Walmarts never agreed to fund parking lots, warehouses, and retail outlets that threaten smaller businesses and drove mom & pop out of business. Nor did those people vote for the huge Tax Abatements that Walmart Receives. There is lots of room here for voter referndums or votes in cities & states that put a much better basis on these kinds of give-aways to big business.
You can take a look at the issues that separate us in the US. It would take a full book to explore this. But the fact is that Rhetoric, falsehoods, false ideas, and myths are behind some of the emotional issues that separate US Citizens. Equality is prime. Education is patchy in regard to our roots.