Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: $9.00 an hour will take someone out of poverty? let's break it down...for the secretaries in the house

Posted 11 years ago on Feb. 12, 2013, 10:22 p.m. EST by elf3 (4203)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Hey ladies how much does Obama make an hour? Or Congress...$9.00 an hour? I propose our public servants make the wage they declare should be satisfactory for us, should be satisfactory enough for them ( not that they need it) so here we go...

9.00x40 minus tax about 20-30 percent

-Mortgage

-Mortgage insurance replace these all if rent will be higher than mortgage anyway

-Property tax (again passes down if rent)

-Bank interest

-Car payment

-Car insurance

-Heat

-Electric

-Gas to commute to work

-Cable and internet

-Water/ sewer

-Food

-Haircuts

-Clothes for work

-Makeup to look presentable

-Toiletries so you don't get lice or smell bad (body was costs about 9.00 a bittle where I live so that's about an hour of work for every 30 showers)

-Tampons ladies also about 9.00 a box so that's an hour of work for every period really gettin screwed on this one

-Health insurance (mandatory)

-Copays

-Prescriptions

-Cell in case of flat on way to work

-Birth control since can't afford children and not covered by insurance

-Student loans (but most secretaries don't have an education so may not apply)

-Excise tax

-Car registration and yearly inspection fee

-parking

-Forgetting other things I'm sure ...

Isn't the way to bring prosperity back to bring down the monopolistic prices of commodities? 9.00 an hour is a joke in comparison to these, Ceo pay, corp write-offs and bailouts....

Has Obama been brainwashed to believe this is the solution? Hey secretaries what is the average hourly pay of your elected congressman?

60 Comments

60 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 5 points by beautifulworld (23769) 11 years ago

A living wage is what we need, not increases to "minimum wage." A humane economy would ensure that every citizen has a job that earns enough money to provide all the things elf lists above. Anything short of that is immoral.

[-] 4 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

Perhaps we must push this through (some pols have historically fought against min wage increases) And build on it.

Would you support that? I mean believe it or not this small inadequate increase WILL help millions of the poorest among us.

[-] 6 points by beautifulworld (23769) 11 years ago

Yes, of course, any change in the right direction is good, but I will always push hard for what we really need which is a living wage. There should be no working poor in this country.

[-] 4 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

Agreed. We must identify those politicians who are against this (inadequate) effort as well as the living wage and target them for retirement.

That will create the best opportunity to get what you (and i) want.

A real living wage indexed to inflation.

[-] 2 points by Gillian (1842) 11 years ago

A living wage would probably contribute to a decline in violence as well.

[-] 1 points by beautifulworld (23769) 11 years ago

Good point. I think it's been proven that societies that offer this type of thing have citizens who are happier and that would probably lead to less violence. Imagine not having any poor people? It's doable.

[-] -2 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

So just what do you base your "living wage" on? Do you base it on an individual, a married couple, a married couple with one child or five children?

Also lets not forget location - NYC is more expensive to live then in other places in the USA.

What about a peson who lives in upstate NY and decides to move to Montana. What about a person who lives in California where it costs more to live and moves to Nevada - where the cost of living is lower.

What about a person who lies about their marital status - Is the "living wage" goning to be tagged to a woman, man or child. Just how do you think it should be implimented?

Who's going to regulate this - the government - the government can't even regulate itself let alone doing something like this.

[-] 1 points by beautifulworld (23769) 11 years ago

Yes, a living wage can be complicated to implement, but fully worthwhile, in my opinion, as then you wouldn't need all the entitlement programs. It is usually based on geographical costs of living.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_wage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

[-] 5 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

I'm not a secretary. Nine dollars is not high enough and it will not lift anyone out of poverty.

[-] 2 points by TrevorMnemonic (5827) 11 years ago

yep yep! MIT has a living wage calculator. On the site you can select your state and county to see what comes up. Wages vary from state to state as well as from single to married to how many kids you have.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

[-] 2 points by vaprosvyeh (-400) 11 years ago

Very cool link. Thanks!

[-] -1 points by freakzilla (-161) from Detroit, MI 11 years ago

You should really feel bad for secretaries in the White House. Hostile work environment and women make 18% less than men.

[-] -2 points by auargent (-600) 11 years ago

a minimum wage job is a starter job. if you have any ambition , you work to learn and get ahead.

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

You haven't managed to do that. So, what is your problem?

Oh, that's right........you're a paid to post troll.

[-] -1 points by auargent (-600) 11 years ago

source of my income........money earned and invested , which brings dividends.

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

Then why are you crying?

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by jrhirsch (4714) from Sun City, CA 11 years ago

Not at all. Half of all minimum wage earners are over 25 years old.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011.htm

Half of all American workers make less than $27,000 a year. $13 an hour or less.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2011

[-] 3 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 11 years ago

It's fraud to suggest that anyone but 1% shiller RepubliCons are claiming that $9/hr is a livable wage. It's slave wage and how the RW Big$ re-institutes Peonage. Justified by their vile greed!

[-] 1 points by uwsboi14 (2) 11 years ago

Raising the minimum wage to $9 is a very good idea. It almost looks tolerable to those of us with much better incomes and who have no frickin' idea what it's like to be piss poor. Plus, the min wage will also be needed as more and more people either fall into the lower tax bracket or crawl their way out of unemployment by working at McDonald's. #winwin

[-] 1 points by uwsboi14 (2) 11 years ago

That was sarcasm. It's a good idea only for the corporate elite.

[-] 1 points by mideast (506) 11 years ago

why not propose $20 an hour and see what the Rs in the House do. As long as we have the obstructionists contolling the Hose, we ( and Obama ) are very constrained.
What would YOU do about this?

[-] -1 points by elf3 (4203) 11 years ago

End Monopolies get bribary out of poilitics proposing a minimum wage is a kabuku dance most of us make a bit more than min but still can't afford the PRICES or cost of living we need to get jobs back in the country but no political will too much profit margin for the one percent

[-] 1 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

I suppose this is an effort to help the poorest among us.

Indexing to inflation is also critical if we are to prevent the falling behind that has occured.

So this would finally bring us up to the 1968 levels. Are you against helping the poorest among us?

[-] 0 points by peacehurricane (293) 11 years ago

The politicians should all be required to live on minimum wages before being allowed any say about it being law

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

Trollin trollin trollin

And your ego's swollen

Keep them untruths rolling ...

[-] 0 points by cJessgo (729) from Port Jervis, PA 11 years ago

You forgot to mention the single malt and smokes.

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by highlander (-163) 11 years ago

Living wage is a colossal, brutal joke. It is cruel and unusual punishment to make a high school drop out believe that flipping burgers will earn them $29 an hour to raise 3 children.

[-] -1 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

Obama is there to do the brainwashing of the left, similar to Bush being up there to do the brainwash of the right.

Together, they have made WAR a non issue, along with civil liberties and endless bailouts.

[-] 2 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

While you try and brainwash (Bainwash?) for the neolibe(R)tarians.

You've already brainwashed over State tyranny.

[-] -1 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

NO, tyranny is everywhere, and its getting worse. All levels. We are having a hell of a time stopping people from voting for neolibe(R)tarians....people keep voting for the damn fools...its like they are all brainwashed.

The first step to recovery is to admit there is a problem. Anyone listening to this nonsense after decades of the same shit has a problem.

You mean like anti-union tyranny too?

http://www.inthesetimes.com/working/entry/14555/scabs_recruited_new_england_stop_shop_strike/

You've never spent much time criticizing emergency managers.

Not word about EMs inherent racism.

Nope not you.

You wanna show the "lefts" equivalent, you know, just to prove your theory?

[-] 2 points by repubsRtheprob (1209) 11 years ago

He's also fighting against the minimum wage increase and I've seen him express opposition to Social Security, and regulations on corporations as well.

Just in case you didn't know.

[-] 1 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

When he calls the 99% asses, he sounds exactly like those guys on the board of directors.

Exactly.

[-] 2 points by repubsRtheprob (1209) 11 years ago

I don't know who he thinks he is kidding. Only himself really.

Besides his obvious wrong positions he does indeed attack the people mostly, and express only negative apocalyptic views of the future.

Mostly just comical, and not worthy of much attention.

I will certainly continue following your battles with him. They are very entertaining.

Luck, you have supporters.

I guess he thinks he has the "genius" of P T Barnum.

[-] 1 points by repubsRtheprob (1209) 11 years ago

He is clearly just trying to confuse, & distract because he is against helping poor people.

Whatta joke.

[-] 0 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

"" I'm not running for anything, but if Murdock wants to give me some cash, I'll take it."

We need to stop electing people like you.

Taken out of context as usual.

Do ever do anything in an honest manner?

How is that taken out of context? You were defending people who accept money from ALEC, I said it was disgusting, and then you said you would do the same thing.

The truth hurts.

Have fun posting for the rest of the day, here and lord only knows where else.

Late.

Let's have your in depth review of ALEC's drive for emergency managers.

I won't hold my breath.

Go ahead raise it, its not going to solve the problem. It will make everyone feel great for about a month, but then the same shit will be going on. It may be a good stop gap measure, but it just leads to more tail chasing.

Time is valuable.

If you cant see this guy is posturing up there by now, Im not sure what would get you to wake up.

[-] 1 points by repubsRtheprob (1209) 11 years ago

"this guy"? Please forget your ridiculous hatred for this individual politician. I keep telling you it is about helping the millions of poorest among us.

"Stopgap"? "feel good"? Your partisan hatred has blinded you from the purpose of our mission.

We the people must push every effort to correct the economic inequity we have suffered under for the last 30 years of trickle down/weak reg failed ideology.

The issues you bring up must be addressed but not at the expense of pushing an increase of the minimum wage.

And after a month of "feelin good" we get back on the picket lines and we pressure more increases and an end to the bankster QE subsidies.

In fact it is because of OWS (& other progressive groups) pressure that we have this $9 proposal. WE the people are responsible for this progress. Now we must see it through and identify the politicians who object (& cave in to the 1% oligarch contributors) and pressure them specifically, or retire their sorry anti 99% asses.

We must fight for everything all at once.

All gov positions should be democratically appointed. Everyone else seems to get that, whats your problem as usual?

Replace him with an ALEC guy?

[-] 0 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

So you don't know anything about it.

It figures.

Hey! Look over there!!........something shiny!!

Obama!

What did you say they were doing in the States?

OOOOOooooh shiny Obama!

[-] -1 points by john32 (-272) from Pittsburgh, PA 11 years ago

This isn't going to be very popular here but i'm going to say it anyways.

If you do an honest look at minimum wages it actually ends up hurting the people you're supposed to be helping. I get the reasoning for wanting to do it, but it ends up increasing unemployment of poverty stricken people.....it also ends up raising prices of the goods produced by low wage workers.

This sounds mean or heartless....but when you're trying to decide how to help people it makes sense to actually see if you'd really be helping or hurting them by looking at the research studies.

Minimum wages don't have to be in place to help people....look at singapore...it has no miniimum wage laws and has one of highest income per capita in the world.

You really should stop making things up.

Were you always that way?

http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/why-income-inequality-worse-in-singapore-in-us

[-] -1 points by john32 (-272) from Pittsburgh, PA 11 years ago

What was made up? Nothing i said was inaccurate. Singapore does have one of the highest incomes per capita in the world.

You're making a mistake though. You assume that poverty doesn't exist everywhere in the world. What do we want to do though to decrease this? You try to figure out through statistics where people are better off. So there may be separations of wealth in singapore....there are separations of wealth everywhere....but when a countries per capita income average is pretty high...that means a great proportion of that countries inhabitants are doing well....is there still separation of wealth? Absolutely. Could there still be political and corporate cronyism? Absolutely.

The point is if you're given a choice of where you want to live and you have a place where per capita income is higher than another...you're most likely going to choose the country with a higher per capita income. Because on average, those people are making more money than other places.

My point with bringing that up is that it is assumed the minimum wage benefits the people it actually hurts. And to show proof that you don't need a minimum wage for people to make a good living...i used singapore as an example.

58%

That makes you a liar then, and here I was cutting you some slack.

No more.

http://singaporearmchaircritic.wordpress.com/2012/12/26/income-inequality-and-poverty-in-singapore/

Wanna talk about Saipan?

[-] -2 points by Nader (74) 11 years ago

Anyone making can $9 an hour will pay no where near 20-30% in taxes and can have all the children they want for free.

Your overall point is spot on though. Raising the minimum wage to $9 an hour will have next to zero impact on poverty.

He proposed pegging the current $9 MW to Cost of Living, which would be a substantial raise, 20-30% payroll tax is typical, and in no real world are children FREE!! Welfare Queendom is a RW/Raygun fairy tale!

Continued redistribution to the top 1-10%, the hoarding of the nation's wealth, and offshoring income and jobs will most definitely do nothing to eradicate poverty. It's crippling the country and although it's not hot war, it is Class War, and equally treasonous!

[+] -4 points by odumba (-8) 11 years ago

It's called a MINIMUM wage for a reason asshole. High school juniors, working at McDonalds, were not meant to afford to buy a house.

Then again, brain dead lazy communists, expect EVERYONE to get paid the same.

[-] 1 points by jrhirsch (4714) from Sun City, CA 11 years ago

Half of all minimum wage earners are over 25 years old.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011.htm

Half of all American workers make less than $27,000 a year. $13 an hour or less.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2011

[-] 1 points by owsarmy (271) 11 years ago

just wanna bring minimum wage to the levels of 1968, and index it so the poorest don't fall behind.

It's fair reasonable, and will create some economic growth.

And by the way most minimum workers are not high school kids.

They are decent hard working American adults with families to support.

Are you still against that?

[-] 0 points by quantumystic (1710) from Memphis, TN 11 years ago

someone once told me if you can do the work you deserve to get paid just like everyone else. that being said if lawmakers wanted they can craft the law to exempt those under 18-21 or whatever.

[-] -1 points by derain (-178) 11 years ago

What do you expect when you talking to the agenda driven people of ows.

[+] -4 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

I hate to say it but $9.00 an hour is for a high school grad - not a person who has a family. Apparently people think that the minimum wage should be for people who have families when in fact it was not for that purpose.

To think that $9.00 an hour is for the purpose of supporting a family or paying for a mortgage, going to college, or anything else related to adult responsibilities (having children, owning a home, etc.) is mornonic thinking.

[-] 2 points by elf3 (4203) 11 years ago

Ahh but it's CEO thinking - downsize and deflate wages and pay yourself and your shareholders a big fat slice of the ol' American pie while the lower class becomes the working poor: that's why the stock market just hit an all time high. What made America great once upon a time is that we could all get a slice maybe not a huge slice but enough to live a nice little life with a white picket fence....be it laborer, Ceo, or secretary.

Living Wage!

[-] -1 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

So, who do you think is investing in the stock market? And as far as "downsize and deflate wages" high school grads are doing just fine with the minimum wage - if they can get a job.

[-] 0 points by GirlFriday (17435) 11 years ago

Trollin trollin trollin

And your ego's swollen

Keep them untruths rolling ...