Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 650,000 Americans Joined Credit Unions Last Month — More Than In All Of 2010 Combined

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 4, 2011, 7:55 p.m. EST by MonetizingDiscontent (1257)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

650,000 Americans Joined Credit Unions Last Month — More Than In All Of 2010 Combined

One of the tactics the 99 Percenters are using to take back the country from the 1 percent is to move their money from big banks to credit unions, community banks, and other smaller financial unions that aren’t gambling with our nation’s future.

Now, the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) reports that a whopping 650,000 Americans have joined credit unions since Sept. 29 — the date that Bank of America announced it would start charging a $5 monthly debit fee, a move it backed down on this week.

To put that in perspective, there were only 600,000 new members for credit unions in all of 2010.

Continue Reading Here:

http://www.opednews.com/Quicklink/650-000-Americans-Joined-C-in-General_News-111104-318.html

7 Comments

7 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by ThisIsNotCapitalism (156) from Redmond, WA 12 years ago

Chase bought my local bank and I have complained everyday since. Now I'm doing something about it!

[-] 1 points by thebeastchasingitstail (1912) 12 years ago

That's fantastic news!

[-] 1 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 12 years ago

And the naysayers claim OWS is impotent.

[-] -1 points by justhefacts (1275) 12 years ago

Um....it didn't start when OWS did, it started after Bank of America announced it's new debit fee.

[-] 1 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 12 years ago

I'm not giving all the credit to OWS, but I think it may have had an impact. A lot of OWSers closed their BofA accounts because of the bailout scandal.

[-] 1 points by StephPiddock (2) 12 years ago

We haven't even started yet!!!

[-] 1 points by MonetizingDiscontent (1257) 12 years ago

Credit unions see huge spike in business due to debit-card fee backlash ahead of ‘Bank Transfer Day’

Credit unions have added about 650,000 new customers — and $4.5 billion in deposits — since Sept. 29, after Bank of America said it would begin charging the fee, according to the Credit Union National Association.

Continue Reading Here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/credit-unions-huge-spike-business-due-debit-card-fee-backlash-bank-transfer-day-article-1.972525#ixzz1cmjGKTyk