Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 44,000 Union Workers Rally in Philly

Posted 11 years ago on Aug. 13, 2012, 4:33 p.m. EST by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

An estimated 44,000 union members gathered in Philadelphia to take a stand for their rights along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway Saturday. The Workers Stand for America are calling attention to issues they say are crippling the middle class. NBC 10's Byron Scott reports.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Union-Workers-Rally-in-Philly/165870676

40 Comments

40 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by inclusionman (7064) 11 years ago

Unions support OWS, We should support unions

http://www.aflcio.org/atWork#/featured?source=aflcioemail

[-] 2 points by vitvitvit (5) 11 years ago

A right to full employment?

What if there's no demand for your services?

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

join the 20% unemployed

[-] 1 points by cJessgo (729) from Port Jervis, PA 11 years ago

What if we replace this broken system with one that gives all people full employment.

[-] 0 points by vitvitvit (5) 11 years ago

You mean give them employment as in sitting around all day because no one wants anything they produce?

[-] 2 points by cJessgo (729) from Port Jervis, PA 11 years ago

Seems to me life is about needs not wants.Oh im sorry you have all your needs so now it is a want list,Yes I understand .Also why is it sit around all day.Sounds like you have an office job.

[-] -1 points by vitvitvit (5) 11 years ago

Life is about YOU EARNING YOUR WAY. Get it?

Sitting around all day as in creating crap no one wants (like Chevy Volts and Fiskers and GM crap and outrageously priced solar panels) and then inventory building because no one buys the crap the government wants made. Even the wind turbines aren't made here - they're made in China.

Screw your shovel ready green shoots.

Sounds like a person who could use a drink.Probably conservative.They always sound as if they are the only one's who work.Always sound like thay have sour grapes in there pants.Aways think that the whole world is out to get there petty possesions.The entire lot is like a dozen pigs with only one ear of corn.Thank the good lord for them though.Always have a sermon and whip ready for ya.

[-] 1 points by TrevorMnemonic (5827) 11 years ago

what if the system isn't set up to work for humanity?

[-] 0 points by vitvitvit (5) 11 years ago

But the system is. You just have to work for it also. Note the key word: WORK!

To Facts are Fun As to your bottom link since again there is not a reply tab.This is not about you.This is not about your petty hatred that clouds your judgement.This is about all people coming together for the common good.Perhaps your anger and hatred should take a time OUT!

[-] 1 points by Nevada1 (5843) 11 years ago

Excellent

[-] 1 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

I think guns and gays have caused many union members to forget who their friends were and some of those friends have forgotten them.

[-] -1 points by cJessgo (729) from Port Jervis, PA 11 years ago

Union people have no friends.Neither now or in the past.Only through the power of labor actions(diversity of tactics) are we able to gain equality.fair wages etc.No political party is our benifactor.

[-] 2 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

What a shame you would think with so many people involved they would find a way to gain a few friends in office, have they thought about involving themselves in elections?

[-] 0 points by cJessgo (729) from Port Jervis, PA 11 years ago

I always thought that union power does not come from the electoral process.In fact doing so has seemed to hurt in the long run.It was in spite of not due to politicians that unions became strong.The democrats motto has been throw them a bone keep them quiet.When you face extinction I think it is time to try a new venue.

[-] 3 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

like I said upfornt when you trun your back on people it does make it hard to help, I think a lot of union members got all worried about losing their guns and lost their unions along the way, you fight for what you care about, i saw the numbers, Ds would fight like hell but if they didn't turn their backs on gays and help spread the guns many unions members didn't care, now they have no power in policy but at least they got their guns and hate.

Unions should not have ever let themselves become coopted by the established political system.Once that happened there loyalty to the rank and file became secondary.Pleasing there political masters was primary.And we all know who the political masters bow to.Unionism will only survive if it radacalizes itself again.Of course the conservatives are doing everything in there power to drive membership up.It is the present union leadership thet continues to fail by bowing to a corrupt political system.Once membership realizes the falicy of the lesser of two evil's argument will we see a true labor change.

The unions got themselves mixed up with Democrats and found out the Ds cared about people, they care about people getting shot, getting beat up because their black or gay or whatever, they care about people getting a decent paycheck, a lot of union members starting voting for people who don't give a shit, and got the GOP who would rather see you in the streets eating dog food rather than a rich man pay a decent wage or a penny more in tax.

as the union leadership responded to their members calls to abandon dems because of guns and gays mostly , the GOP took office and changed the laws and made it tougher for unions to build membership, for the most part it is easy to blame the leadership it always is, but how many members stood up and said the gays are our friends, and guns kill people we need to support those that fight for strong union laws, they didn't the GOP won and now it is what it is, doing more of the same stepping away from the political system so that more "right to work" laws can be passed in more states, so that more government workers can be stripped of their rights, seems to be exactly the wrong thing to do, letting more Republicans win.

I do not agree at all.People kill people.And Gays are in unions.As all walks of life.And yes it is the leadership that sets the agenda.And that agenda was to be coopted by the established political system.Being a Democratic Apologetic will not change that fact.

So the leadership says "these guys will help us, and these guys will hurt us" it's their fault Republicans were elected and the unions were hurt? that makes no sense. It seems to me that the union members tried to tell the Ds what they could or could not support, like gun control, or else lose our votes, it seems the union members left their friends because they would not be slaves to their demands, the Ds always vote for higher wages and stronger unions, it's the membership, rank and file that cast the votes, and a lot of them wanted guns more than jobs, truth is truth.

Every day we learn more and more about a country with more guns than jobs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/us/texas-am-gunman-wrote-of-snipers-who-were-inspirational.html

[-] 2 points by cJessgo (729) from Port Jervis, PA 11 years ago

Guns is not the issue.Nor is a persos sexual identity.Leadership has continued to take a concilitory tone with management. I think the correct term would be apeasment.Where you get this Guns and Gays thing I have not a clue.I have never ever heard that at any union meeting on the local or national level.I have heard and seen programs and rule changes that were not in the best intrest of membership.And these were politicaly driven.The politicians are not what made unions a force they are a detriment to the workers.And No the Dems do not consistantly side with us .And it is legislative issues that they have betrayed us.Right to work for less laws.Lip service to card check or only the latest list in a long line of democratic betrayals . That have begun in the late 1970's.Clintons fair trade acts have been the most devestating.In terms of job losses and driving wages down across the board for all workers.And benefits are now a thing of the past.Both political partys have been a disaster for Americans.

union members voted for Reagan in large numbers even after he busted the Air Traiffic Contollers Union, you reap what you sow...maybe they just liked the way he smiled, but if you don't get involed and pay attention you shouldn't bitch when those that do write the rules

I agree. Remember it was president of AFL-CIO Sweeney(I belive) That sat on his ol fat duff and did not lift a finger for the ATC people.Oh and at that time he and the democrats could have stopped Regan or at least forced him to rehire.But this is what happens when leadership is involved with the politicians.And only one example of them showing a total lack of solidarity with the workers.

hmm funny how you manage to blame the Ds for an executive discussion made by a Republican, if I didn't know better I'd say it almost sounds like you’re more interested in complaining than improving..

I don't remember Sweeney saying "vote for Reagan" do you?

Sorr facts this is not about you and your petty hatreds.This is about people coming together.Perhaps you should take a time out.

If unions want to be totally marginalized they should do what you suggest and throw a cures on both their houses, come to think of it the same is true of OWS.

Hey I didn't vote for Reagan and if union members didn't they'd be more of them now.

In reply to your bottom link..I did not know that I had republican friends.I also did not see that this forum post was on civil rights.It is not about how one group treats the unions.It is about the unions not being a political partys step and fetch.As far as voting is concerned that is a persons own idealogical prefernce. The point is that neither political party is a friend of workers. And you sir are a democratis apologetic.The Demorats have only used labor to there political ends.I also would add that when it has become politicaly expediant they have caved to corporate demands.And as far as guns are concerned all citizens should be very apprehensive to any goverment controls.

If you are unwilling to express your desires in the voting booth do not complain when those that hold office listen to others when writing laws.

Don't expect loyalty where none is given.

Many say what you get paid should be an individual choice between you and only you and the huge capital empire that employees you. Those people also say vote against the bastard if he comes for your guns.

As for myself I hate Republicans and all they do, I'm not the least bit bashful about it.

I do not remember him standing up to Reagan do you? Fact is that the job of any Union Leader is to speak truth to power.This is from the shop steward up to and including the president of the American Federation of Labor/Congress of Industial occupations.No he did not stand up to Reagan.And It is not funny how the democrats did not stand up either.And no it is not funny how since there firing no Democratic Politician has ever made any jester towards reinstatement.The Democrates have proven time and again that all great American movements go to them and die.

yeah like civil rights, we should have a black President by now,

maybe your Republican friends will treat the unions better, NOT!

I don't know where you worked but I heard a lot of union workers bitching about how the democrats were coming after their guns back in the eighties when we spoke of such things, and a bunch of them voted for Reagan, don't vote Republican then bitch about what happens.

Even now like Sweeney before you, you seem unwilling to attack Reagan and save your scorn for the leadership and the Ds, sounds to me like sour grapes.

[-] -2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

this deserves a front page write up

if we can overcome the things that divide us and see our common ground I really do believe we will stop sending our kids to kill and die (they are both terrible things) and just maybe we could stop trying to be King too...

(ps talk about "above the fray" a response like that and no "upvote", I'm not complaining, just observing, and laughing my ass off because I love to see those who walk the walk)

[-] 0 points by TitusMoans (2451) from Boulder City, NV 11 years ago

Thanks for the post. This is the type of action necessary to galvanize workers across the country: their brothers and sisters in unified protest.

[-] 0 points by DebtNEUTRALITYpetition (647) 11 years ago

I already had fixed the link in the other topic on this subject. I think the first topic was raising some interesting and related points.

[-] -1 points by GovTheives (-30) 11 years ago

Get the remaining stinking unions out

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

they should strike on election day